Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  Security for educational purposes

Posted 08-02-2021 13:47
    Hi everyone,

Having spend quite some time on IT risk, I thought it's nice to stretch out a bit, and touch upon the basics of network security. Working for a large firm, in which I can't setup a lab environment, I thought to do a project of securing my own home network, also because doing things hands-on makes things stick better in mind.

I thought of buying one or two SRX320 and two Juniper WLA's, setup VLAN's, a guest network, establishing a security perimeter, trying out some link level encryption, 802.X, etc.

My only worry is that the advanced network security concepts explained in CISSP might not be available in the equipment purchased at all, or require an expensive yearly contract to enable, turning it into a very expensive educational project.

Does anyone know if Juniper offers a cost-effective way to experiment with the security services found on the equipment mentioned for educational purposes ?

kind regards, Jaap

------------------------------
    Jaap van Strien

• 2.  RE: Security for educational purposes

Posted 08-02-2021 17:24
    The WLA WiFi series is end of life so would not be a good choice on that side.  This has been replaced by the Mist series products which are all cloud managed no controller required.

On the SRX license side you can activate trials for only a month for free.  Longer that that does require the 1 year or multi year subscription.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16675

The other option is to purchase the subscription as part of the bundle when you get the SRX.  Then it is all included with the purchase.  And the clock will not start until you apply the license on the device.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home