Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  mib2d DEBUG message

Posted 12-29-2020 01:36

hello All!

MX80 JunOS 20.2R1-S2.1

after enabling snmp monitoring after some time in log:

set system syslog file totallog any any
    set system syslog file totallog authorization none
    set system syslog file totallog interactive-commands none

a message like this appears (in large count):

Dec 29 08:09:08  mib2d[2102]: rtslib: DEBUG Insufficient buffer. Growing the buffer and retrying
    Dec 29 08:09:11 last message repeated 645 times
    Dec 29 08:09:15 last message repeated 752 times
    Dec 29 08:10:08 mib2d[2102]: rtslib: DEBUG Insufficient buffer. Growing the buffer and retrying
    Dec 29 08:10:11 last message repeated 381 times

is the message an indicator of any problem? if not, how can you disable its output (except how "system syslog file totallog match" )?

p.s. after disabling snmp collector without disabling snmp on router this message disappears.

• 2.  RE: mib2d DEBUG message

Posted 12-29-2020 03:44

The messages are only informational, for internal debugging purpose. They are harmless and have no functionality effect.

There is a mechanism that re-sizes the buffer required for a message on the fly. If the rtsock client receives a message and it is too big for the current buffer, the auto-grow mechanism kicks in and increases the buffer a pre-determined size and tries again to fit the message in the newly-sized buffer.

More specifically, the pre-defined buffer size is smaller than the received message and this function is temporarily increasing the buffer to be able to hold the message until it is processed. 

These being debugger level messages, they will occur if the Syslog is configured with any any for the messages, which I'm guessing is the case here.

To suppress these messages you can add

set system syslog file messages match "!(.*DEBUG Insufficient buffer.*)"

as shown with example in below kb
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB9382

Regards

------------------------------

If my answer provides the solution, please mark my post as "Best Answer".

If you think my answer helps, please "Recommend" my post.

------------------------------