Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Loopback Interface - Configuration Group

Posted 09-16-2021 01:17
    New to Juniper and understand configuration groups concept, but cannot figure out why its considered best practice to configure the loopback interface in a configuration group, according to what the following page states. Can anyone explain why this would be or point me to further documentation?

"Optionally, instead of configuring the loopback interface at the [edit interfaces] hierarchy level, you can use a configuration group, as shown in this procedure. This is a recommended best practice for configuring the loopback interface. This procedure uses a group called global as an example."

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/interfaces-security-devices/topics/topic-map/security-interface-config-loopback-interfaces.htmlConfiguring Loopback Interfaces

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Dan Graham

• 2.  RE: Loopback Interface - Configuration Group

Posted 09-17-2021 05:30
    Hi, loopback interface is highly recommended as a network independent interface which is always UP and allows you to set as a source interface for routing protocols or another services as SNMP, NTP, SYSLOG, RADIUS etc.

JIRI KUBIN

• 3.  RE: Loopback Interface - Configuration Group

Posted 09-17-2021 15:52
    Yes, that's the reason to use a loopback, but I'm specifically asking why Juniper documentation recommends the use of a configuration group to configure the interface rather than configure the interface directly (edit interfaces lo0).

Thanks for the reply,

Dan Graham

• 4.  RE: Loopback Interface - Configuration Group
    Best Answer

Posted 09-22-2021 05:54
    To be honest, I don't know where the 'recommended practice' of the document in regards to configure addressing in lo0.0 is coming from. In the context of simplifying configurations, apply-groups are an excellent tool, since it allows you to easily generalize configuration and inherit it for different configuration hierarchies. The usefulness of this feature is there, whether you want to use it under lo0 and/or other parts, is really up to you.

Elvin

• 5.  RE: Loopback Interface - Configuration Group

Posted 10-06-2021 14:47
    I found it interesting that Juniper says best practice but nothing to back that up, I didnt want to deploy in an un-recomended way.

Thanks for your input!

Dan Graham

• 6.  RE: Loopback Interface - Configuration Group

Posted 10-06-2021 20:07
    You could try hitting the feedback button on the bottom right of any documentation page.  Then ask that more information on the best practice or a link to it be added and include your email address.

those notes go to the owner of that documentation.  I've had good luck in getting documents updated and email responses from that option.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 7.  RE: Loopback Interface - Configuration Group

Posted 10-07-2021 05:30
    I will absolutely give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Dan Graham