Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Is EIGRP on the Junos igp road map ?

Posted 05-14-2021 18:42
    Today I seen a post from NetCloud that their OS supports EIGRP .    Customer Connect

Im sure just like other on this list there have been many times in a Cisco shop and  sites will not or cannot change igp ..
    I just wanted to  ask the community if  anyone has heard anything from their SEs or PLMs if this has any hope to land in Junos as a some another igp in Junos ?
    Has anyone ever used a NetCloud router and running EIGRP ?   My gut says its  eigrpd from  frrouting.org    , and If thats the case id guess NetCloud thinks the code is good enough to run on their platform and offer support . 

Side note I dont want to run EIGRP . I just see this as a great ephemeral tool when doing migrations or lab testing 
    Thanks for reading my question and have a good weekend.  

• 2.  RE: Is EIGRP on the Junos igp road map ?

Posted 05-16-2021 05:54
    I was not able to get official answers to this, but a few years ago a year or so after Cisco may the "open source eigrp" I officially asked my sales engineer from both Juniper and Palo Alto networks  if it would be considered for implementation.

Both took the question back for internal consultation.  The summary is this,
    • The "open standard" version of eigrp is missing key features that are used in large enterprise deployments
    • Thus it cannot be used with the large networks that typically are tied to and want to keep eigrp
    • The "open standard" was created to allow Cisco centric customers a way to satisfy finance and management RFP requirements that public standards be used when projects are sent out to bid.  (Primarily government entities in the USA).
    • Neither expected eigrp support on their platforms and it was not on any roadmap

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Is EIGRP on the Junos igp road map ?

Posted 05-16-2021 09:55
    Thank you Steve. 
    Great to know you took this to both Juniper and Palo!
    All those bullet points are great to know about,  especially RFP bid.

Goggled around and Cumulus , Pfsense , NextCloud  all use FRR.   My lab life just  got  easier now wthat I can run all those protocols on one 200$ linux box .
    Im going to stand up a linux box next week and see what the viability of running a few instances  of eigrpd on a few devices in a "simple" migration phase would look like .
    As you posted the adv eigrp features are not there to == IOS .
    Its sounds like a good time to request a NFX box to chain some stuff together.