Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC

Posted 11-21-2021 11:49
    Hi
    I have questions about different levels of Licensing on MPCs of MX routers, as the following link mentions:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/licensing/topics/topic-map/software_licensing_requirements.html

My questions:
    - Is there any difference between RB and IRB and Base license levels besides the Routing Tables capacity? I mean considering supported features
    - If I use the Base level card then will I have the total backplane throughout on the card or I will lose some of it?
    - Is there any limitation, if I use the Base card and Enhanced Midplane?
    - Can I get a base level card and then upgrade it to R level?
    Thank you

------------------------------
    Ali Soltan

• 2.  RE: Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC

Posted 11-23-2021 05:37
    Hi 
    Can you please help me out in this regard?
    Thank you

Ali Soltan

• 3.  RE: Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC
    Best Answer

Posted 11-23-2021 10:05

Hi Ali,

your questions relates to the licensing scheme being phased out by Juniper. You should be looking at the flex licensing as an alternative.
    But - you can still order some MPCs with the old base, -IR and -R scale so answers to your questions below.

- Is there any difference between RB and IRB and Base license levels besides the Routing Tables capacity? I mean considering supported features

Yes, you need at least -IR to be allowed running BNG services on the MPC. Technically you need -IR + HQoS license. BNG is a seperate license from the MPC if needed.

The -RB version also allows you to operate more than 32 L3VPNs.

- If I use the Base level card then will I have the total backplane throughout on the card or I will lose some of it?
    There is no bandwidth restriction. It's differences in routing capacity, L3VPNs and BNG features.

- Is there any limitation, if I use the Base card and Enhanced Midplane?
    No.

- Can I get a base level card and then upgrade it to R level?
    Yes - just remember that a upgrade from base to -R requires you to purchase both the -IR and -R license (base card + -IR + -R license have the same list price as the MPC with -R license from the start).

I hope that clarifies.

--
    Jonas Hauge Klingenberg - Juniper Ambassador

• 4.  RE: Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC

Posted 11-23-2021 22:55
    Dear Jonas 
    Thank you for the detailed information, I will ask more questions if I have any under this post.
    Ali

Ali Soltan