Junos OS

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi
    I have questions about different levels of Licensing on MPCs of MX routers, as the following link mentions:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/licensing/topics/topic-map/software_licensing_requirements.html

My questions:
    - Is there any difference between RB and IRB and Base license levels besides the Routing Tables capacity? I mean considering supported features
    - If I use the Base level card then will I have the total backplane throughout on the card or I will lose some of it?
    - Is there any limitation, if I use the Base card and Enhanced Midplane?
    - Can I get a base level card and then upgrade it to R level?
    Thank you

------------------------------
    Ali Soltan

• 2.  RE: Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi 
    Can you please help me out in this regard?
    Thank you

Ali Soltan

• 3.  RE: Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC
    Best Answer

Posted 12 days ago

Hi Ali,

your questions relates to the licensing scheme being phased out by Juniper. You should be looking at the flex licensing as an alternative.
    But - you can still order some MPCs with the old base, -IR and -R scale so answers to your questions below.

- Is there any difference between RB and IRB and Base license levels besides the Routing Tables capacity? I mean considering supported features

Yes, you need at least -IR to be allowed running BNG services on the MPC. Technically you need -IR + HQoS license. BNG is a seperate license from the MPC if needed.

The -RB version also allows you to operate more than 32 L3VPNs.

- If I use the Base level card then will I have the total backplane throughout on the card or I will lose some of it?
    There is no bandwidth restriction. It's differences in routing capacity, L3VPNs and BNG features.

- Is there any limitation, if I use the Base card and Enhanced Midplane?
    No.

- Can I get a base level card and then upgrade it to R level?
    Yes - just remember that a upgrade from base to -R requires you to purchase both the -IR and -R license (base card + -IR + -R license have the same list price as the MPC with -R license from the start).

I hope that clarifies.

--
    Jonas Hauge Klingenberg - Juniper Ambassador

• 4.  RE: Difference between Base,IRB and RB license on MPC

Posted 12 days ago
    Dear Jonas 
    Thank you for the detailed information, I will ask more questions if I have any under this post.
    Ali

Ali Soltan