Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Advised Upgrade Path for MX5/10/80

Posted 02-24-2021 10:36
    Edited by Duke Silver 02-24-2021 14:07
    Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance, I searched and failed to find anything to help my understanding. We have a bunch of MX5/10/80s that are all on 15.1R6.7 and I would like to get them up to the latest 20.4R1.

Reading the documentation, it advises I cannot jump more than 2 releases. So that means I have to go 15.1R6.7 -> 16.1 -> 17.2 -> 18.1 -> 18.4 -> 19.3 -> 20.2 -> 20.4?

If that is correct, I was unable to find 17.2 in the download sections for this, and it was only 32 bit at that, I would like to stay on 64.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Please and thank you.

All the best,
    Duke

• 2.  RE: Advised Upgrade Path for MX5/10/80

Posted 02-24-2021 17:43
    I believe you can jump 3 releases at a time now but the specifics do vary by version so these place that needs to be confirmed is the release notes on the "jump" version to see what is supported.  So you  might get away with less. 

Second point is the multi version jump is expected only from the last major release of the code train.  So you need to see which second number is the EEOL (last version) for that year.  This is where you would start and end from.

So in your case if 15.3 is the EEOL version, you first jump might be here.

Then confirming on 18.3 release notes (or EEOL version) for the number that can be done 2 or 3 versions.  There are often notes here too about specific source versions that are supported or not recommended.

And so on up the chain.

Any versions missing from downloads can be requested via a JTAC support case as needed.  And support is also able to help build this jump version chain for you too with a ticket.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Advised Upgrade Path for MX5/10/80

Posted 02-25-2021 11:31
    Thank you very much!

I Regret Nothing.

• 4.  RE: Advised Upgrade Path for MX5/10/80

Posted 02-24-2021 18:01
    Hello Duke,

first of all, it is not recommended to upgrade to the latest and greatest release (currently 20.4R1), as this is the most unstable release as well. Currently Juniper recommends 17.3R3-S11 (very stable) or 19.4R3-S1 (maybe not that stable but more features) for MX5/10/80 platform. You can find the recommendation here:
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB33938

If you want to upgrade from 15.1 to 20.4, this is the official supported way:
    15.1 --> 17.3 --> 18.1 --> 18.3 --> 19.1 --> 19.3 --> 20.2 --> 20.4

Please note, this does not mean that this upgrade path is the only possible way. It could even be possible that a direct upgrade from 15.1 to 19.4 can work as well (as far as I noticed, direct upgrades beyond 20.1 do not work without 19.4 as a step in the middle). It is always recommended to check the upgrades in the lab before doing them in the field. If you do not have the possibility to check this in your lab, the above mentioned path is the safest one.

> I was unable to find 17.2 in the download sections for this, and it was only 32 bit at that, I would like to stay on 64.

17.2 is not available for MX5/10/80. Please note that this platform is legacy 32-bit only. There are no 64 bit images for this platform.

Additionally, this platform has been End of Life announced:
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=TSB17733

If my answer provides the solution, please mark my post as "Best Answer".
    If you think my answer helps, please "Recommend" my post.

• 5.  RE: Advised Upgrade Path for MX5/10/80

Posted 02-25-2021 11:31
    Thank you very much!

I Regret Nothing.