Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  License stacking on vSRX - upgrade from 1G to 2G

Posted 07-15-2021 15:17
    Hi,

We have currently a 1G ASECB license installed on our vSRX and need to add another 1G to make it to a total of 2G.
    The licensing guide mentions that license stacking is allowed, so just want to understand if we can add the same 1G license key to make it 2G or we need to install a new 2G license and delete the old 1G license.

Any suggestions or links to how this can be achieved would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: License stacking on vSRX - upgrade from 1G to 2G

Posted 07-16-2021 05:45
    Hi,

technically you can easily stack 2 x 1G licenses on the same vSRX and be compliant. No need to buy a 2G license.

That said - in general Juniper has changed the licensing scheme on vSRX from throughput to core-based. You can still buy the throughput based but I expect they will disappear during the upcoming months.

So if your existing 1G ASEC license is up for renewal in less than a year, I would look at the replacement SKU  'S-VSRX-2C-A1-1' (or -3 for three year subscription).

The 2 core version (2C) reflect roughly 2,5 Gbps firewalling throughput without IPS and AppSecure and have a cost roughly 33% higher than the existing 1G ASECB and 35% cheaper than the corresponding 2G ASECB license.

The new license tiers are described on the following url: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/licensing/topics/concept/flex-licenses-for-vsrx.html

I hope that clarifies and gives some direction moving forward.

------------------------------
    --
    Jonas Hauge Klingenberg - Juniper Ambassador

• 3.  RE: License stacking on vSRX - upgrade from 1G to 2G

Posted 07-16-2021 14:37
    Hi Jonas,

I tried adding another 1G on top of existing 1G but I got this message

terminal:1 warning: EXXXXXXXXXXX: license already exists, not modified
    add license complete (no errors)

Also, the license installed and licenses used count is still the same.

I dont think it is allowing to add the same license key. We do have 2G license keys available, so do you think that we need to install the 2G license and then delete the 1G.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: License stacking on vSRX - upgrade from 1G to 2G

Posted 07-17-2021 15:44
    Hi,

ah - you have bought multiple 1G licenses in order.. that will provide you with the same license key. So in that situation they cannot be stacked.
    If the 1G licenses had been bought via two orders, then you would have two different license keys to add.
    So yes, if you have a 2G license available; use that one and delete the 1G.

But: Basically the vSRX appliance doesn't have a throughput limitation, so the limitation is only if the features are licensed - it will perform up to the throughput which the vCPU can deliver. So as long as you have reserved a 1G license but not applied (just kept for revision/audit purpose), then your vSRX can still deliver 2G throughput.

The lack of throughput limiter were one of the reason changing the license scheme to number of vCPUs; easier to count and handle :-)

I hope that clarifies.

--
    Jonas Hauge Klingenberg - Juniper Ambassador