Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  MX960 and Enhanced-ip mode

Posted 12-23-2020 00:43

Hi

When I searched about Cards and Features of MX960 I encountered the term "Enhanced-ip" and This fact that for Cards Like MPC7E the box must work in this mode.

A couple of questions here:

1- What is the effect of this mode on Device capacity? I mean will we have any degradation in Fabric capacity of any card type?

2- If we enable this feature will we lose features like VLAN CCC or LACP or QinQ?

I have concerns about MPC7E(both Variants MRATE and 10G) and MPC10E-10C cards and SCBE3

Thank you for your help and support

Alireza

------------------------------
    Alireza Soltanian

• 2.  RE: MX960 and Enhanced-ip mode
    Best Answer

Posted 12-23-2020 05:52

Hello Alireza,

On MX240, MX480, and MX960 routers, the MPC5E and MPC7E line cards power on only if the configured network services mode is enhanced-ip OR enhanced-ethernet.

In short, the  "Enhanced-ip" mode provides  full L2 and L3 JUNOS and forwarding functionality while "enhanced-ethernet" mode provides full L2 feature-set but limited L3 feature-set

You may find the "enhanced-ethernet" restrictions in the below link 

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/chassis-guide-tm-config-ntwrk-srvics-mode.html#id-feature-restrictions-on-mx-series-routers-running-in-ethernet-network-services-mode-or

Using the Enhanced Network Services mode help to improve the scaling and performance specific to filters in a subscriber access network that uses statically configured subscriber interfaces.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/chassis-services-enhanced-mode-overview.html

you will not lose any of the mentioned features.

Regarding MPC10E-15C/10C is supported only with SCBE3. To be specific, MPC10E15C/10C is not supported with (SCB, SCBE or SCBE2).

SCBE3 is supported only in enhanced-ip or enhanced-ethernet modes on MX240/480/960 platforms.

Hopefully, this helps you.

Regards

If my answer provides the solution, please mark my post as "Best Answer".

If you think my answer helps, please "Recommend" my post.

• 3.  RE: MX960 and Enhanced-ip mode

Posted 12-23-2020 13:19

Thank you for the answer

Alireza Soltanian