Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Simulating Network Outages/ Degradation

Posted 03-21-2022 16:42
    Hello Everyone!

Does anyone know of a solution to simulate network delay, loss, and jitter that is native or can be install on Juniper MX or EX devices? I've seen people use netem before but I'm not sure if this can be use on a Juniper platform.

Does anyone have some advice on the best way for us to simulate such a thing? I'm happy to provide more info if needed.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    JOHN HIGH
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Simulating Network Outages/ Degradation

Posted 03-22-2022 09:49
    Hi John, in EVE-NG (at least, the Pro version) you can simulate network outages. It allows you to introduce packetloss, failures, jitter and artificial latency.
    Sadly it won't be effective for you on a physical MX device but with a vMX in there you can simulate these effects on a virtual replica of your configuration/architecture at least.

As for simulating this in a physical world, that'll be a little more complex. I suppose the best solution there would be to have a server (can be as small as a raspberry pi of course, as long as it can have 2 interfaces) in between, and using something on there to manipulate the traffic passing by. I'm not that well versed in that though so can't offer you any concrete solutions there.

• 3.  RE: Simulating Network Outages/ Degradation

Posted 03-23-2022 09:23
    I suggest you use pnetlab instead of eve. pnetlab is free, the advance function is same as eve professional.

https://pnetlab.com/pages/main