Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 14:18
    Does anyone have a good way to log what packet/frame triggered  storm control to make it kick in and log ?  
    l2ald[1978]: %DAEMON-1-L2ALD_ST_CTL_IN_EFFECT: xe-0/2/0.0: storm control in effect on the port 

I have yet to post a Jtac case and I plan too , but wanted to post on here too.
    Id love to see a knob to log  all packets that storm  control drops during until its back within the defined range..

I have seen this KB posted and I will be lab it up.
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB35880&cat=QFX5120&actp=LIST

• 2.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 19:03
    Pretty sure logging is only supported if you configure an actual BUM filter instead of built in storm control.

The basic setting is just there to protect the layer 2 network at a very high level, pretty sure it only kicks in at 80%.  So unless you are running a multicast stream on the port there is likely a loop here.

Unless the log is happening in as a software error by mistake.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 19:30
    Thanks Steve.
    I will run the filter with the polices to gain more insight for the few areas I see this .
    We run our storm control a lot more aggressive than 80%  and during this  I have leaned BACNET is not a good  thing.
    Plus 4k+ devices in single layer 2 domain spanning WAY WAY to many hops.

• 4.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-27-2021 18:51
    Bonjour Steve, 
    can you suggest a way for me to get warned when a switch goes into storm control in effect ?  I can see the message in the switch log when the smoke clear, but I'd like the switch to send me a alert that it has gone into that mode so I know something fishy is going on. .  We have Junos Space up, but I can't seem to find my wat around getting it to warn me of the situation.
    Thanks
    Michel

Michel Lapointe

• 5.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-27-2021 19:20
    Michel.  Im playing with my syslog facilities .  Odd as they are all posted as same severity and facility.

# help syslog L2ALD_ST_CTL
    Name: L2ALD_ST_CTL_DISABLED
    Help: Storm control disabled an interface
    Description: This condition occurs when storm control condition is detected.
    Type: Event: This message reports an event, not an error
    Severity: alert
    Facility: LOG_DAEMON

Name: L2ALD_ST_CTL_ENABLED
    Help: Storm control cleared from an interface
    Description: This condition occurs when storm-control condition is cleared.
    Facility: LOG_DAEMON

Name: L2ALD_ST_CTL_IN_EFFECT
    Message: <interface-name>: storm control in effect on the port
    Help: Storm control in effect an interface
    Description: This condition occurs when storm control condition is detected.
    Facility: LOG_DAEMON-------------------------------------------

EDIT Jun 21.
    I have been tuning my profiles and I have only seen   %DAEMON-1-L2ALD_ST_CTL_IN_EFFECT  .  If the profile is not set to disable the port you will not see any eanble or disable  notifications, which makes since. It would be a nice feature for Junos to add  if anyone out there is reading this to log
    %DAEMON-1-L2ALD_ST_CTL_NOT_IN_EFFECT   :).

Original Message:
    Sent: 05-27-2021 18:50
    Subject: Log Storm Control triggers

Bonjour Steve, 
    can you suggest a way for me to get warned when a switch goes into storm control in effect ?  I can see the message in the switch log when the smoke clear, but I'd like the switch to send me a alert that it has gone into that mode so I know something fishy is going on. .  We have Junos Space up, but I can't seem to find my wat around getting it to warn me of the situation.
    Thanks
    Michel

Michel Lapointe