Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  consequences of manually failing bver RG0 ?

Posted 05-18-2021 05:28
    Hi,

Whenever I read about SRX manual failover, there is this special note:
    "Be cautious and judicious in your use of redundancy group 0 manual failovers. A redundancy group 0 failover implies a Routing Engine (RE) failover, in which case all processes running on the primary node are killed and then spawned on the new primary Routing Engine (RE). This failover could result in loss of state, such as routing state, and degrade performance by introducing system churn. "

Im not sure what to understand of this. As understand it, this means there will be an interruption in the traffic: All sessions need to be re-established.  But the last remark just gives me the chills, as it speaks about system churn. Im not a native English speaker and what I found churn means, is some state of degradation. That explanation is very unspecific and I imagine the worst :) .Does it mean that the negative impact of a manual failover of RG0 lasts beyond the brief impact on sessions that nbeed to be re-established? Does it last until I reboot the firewall?
    I cant imagine it can be that bad, but I havent found any detailed explanation of what the impact will be when I failover RG0 and I would appreciate if someone with experience, please explain what actually happens.

------------------------------
    Peter Housen

• 2.  RE: consequences of manually failing bver RG0 ?

Posted 05-18-2021 05:36
    Hi,

Failover RG0 will not impact transit traffic. It just impact management to SRX only.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: consequences of manually failing bver RG0 ?

Posted 05-18-2021 05:58
    Just to complete the loop to have no impact on transit traffic you do need to configure gres and all its requirements.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 4.  RE: consequences of manually failing bver RG0 ?

Posted 05-18-2021 06:22
    Thank you for the answers.
    Can we say the same about vSRX? I dont think we can enable gres on vSRX, right?

Peter

• 5.  RE: consequences of manually failing bver RG0 ?

Posted 05-18-2021 06:28
    Hi,

As i'm understand Chassis SRX Cluster not support GRES coz it dont use dual RE not like other box.

Thanks