Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Moving from Junos Services Release Images to Junos

Posted 08-27-2021 09:04

When I look at the Junos Download page , I still have trouble understanding the difference between Junos SR and Junos.

Following the resolution of a PR that was a major problem to our use of our 200+ EX-2300-C,  (and that I helped create, thank you J   ) I adopted Junos SR image 18.2R3-S2  in early 2020 and have been upgrading the same image through S3, S4,and S5 that I am using now.

Since the JTAC recommended versions now read "Junos 18.2R3-Latest Service Release / 20.2R3 or Latest Service Release" , I am considering moving from our current Junos SR (18.2R3) to Junos (20.2R3) . 

Question 1: Can I assume that the PR fixed in the early Junos SR  made their way into the later Junos Images ?

Question 2: anything else I should consider before moving images from Junos SR to Junos ?

The PR I am concerned with is

PR1442376  EX2300 platforms might stop forwarding traffic or responding to console

And the reason for moving up is a Juniper Security Bulletin issued in july

2021-07 Security Bulletin: Junos Space: Multiple vulnerabilities resolved in 21.2R1

Thanks, Steve

Michel Lapointe

Projet GIRAT 2.0

Michel.lapointe@girat.org

Cell : (819) 279-0844

GIRAT     http://www.girat.org

(Gestion de l'inforoute régionale de l'Abitibi-Témiscamingue)

Girat_Image30x116

• 2.  RE: Moving from Junos Services Release Images to Junos

Posted 08-27-2021 14:05
    Hi Michel,

In my understanding SR releases are fixes in mainstream release, so it's always better to pickup "suggested" release and keep patching with SRs till release EoL. In such way you have stability of selected release for your configuration and necessary security/functional fixes. 

You have to pick up next release before EoL date for selected release and continue process. It works for me for long time (JunOS 9.x, before SR's were available for general download)

Netwolf
    P.S. please not that juniper article called "Junos Software Versions - Suggested Releases to Consider and Evaluate " and not JTAC recommended releases.

• 3.  RE: Moving from Junos Services Release Images to Junos

Posted 08-28-2021 05:45
    Actually they changed the name of the JTAC «recommended releases» to «Suggested Releases to Consider and Evaluate».
    Because of bugs. And because when the recommended release for some gears was a release not yet released, the credibility level suddenly decreased.

------------------------------
    Olivier Benghozi

• 4.  RE: Moving from Junos Services Release Images to Junos

Posted 08-28-2021 06:03

Question 1: Can I assume that the PR fixed in the early Junos SR  made their way into the later Junos Images ?

Yes with rare exceptions as software bugs sometime re-emerge called "regressions" in the business.  But when found they will also be noted in the original PR.  So the versions in each train called out in the PR and later version numbers in that chain will have the fix.

Question 2: anything else I should consider before moving images from Junos SR to Junos ?

The main tool is the release notes for the target version you plan to upgrade into. 
    Check out
    Known issues in the new release
    Resolved issues in the new release
    New features in the new release

The items in these categories give you the reasons to either go or not.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home