Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Question about S-MX-4C8-P1-P and S-MX-4C-P1-P

Posted 11-23-2021 05:37
    Hi
    Checking the licenses on the MX router I found this license for MPC7E-10G:

And this license for MPC7E-MRATE:

The description of S-MX-4C8-P1-P says:
    SW, MX, 4x100GE+8x10GE ports, Pre1, Flex Capacity License, JAL required, w/out SW Support, Perpetual
    The description of S-MX-4C-P1-P says:
    SW, MX, 4x100GE ports, Pre1, Class 1, w/out SW Support, Perpetual

The questions:
    - What does this mean?
    - Does it mean for enabling the ports on MPC7E-MRATE or MPC7E-10GE, I need to install these licenses? Or Can I enable the ports on the card with any combination(considering the Card Capacity) without installing these licenses?
    - Based on what is mentioned on this link:
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/licensing/topics/concept/flex-licenses-for-mx-and-service-cards.html
    These Premium licenses were replaced with -R and Advanced Licenses were replaced with -IR licenses and they are used for enabling features on the card. Are they used for enabling the port configuration on the cards as well?
    -  Can  I  just order( MPC7E-MRATE + S-MX-4C8-P1-P  and MPC7E-10G + S-MX-4C-P1-P) and have all the capacity, features, port configuration combinations?
    -  Can I ignore the -R and -IR licenses with this approach?

Thank you

------------------------------
    Ali Soltan

• 2.  RE: Question about S-MX-4C8-P1-P and S-MX-4C-P1-P
    Best Answer

Posted 11-23-2021 16:01
    Hi Ali,

Answers to your questions;

- What does this mean?
    Basically this is the new flex licensing scheme instead of the old BASE, -IR and -R scheme. You can use this instead of the original one if it makes sense to your use-case.

- Does it mean for enabling the ports on MPC7E-MRATE or MPC7E-10GE, I need to install these licenses? Or Can I enable the ports on the card with any combination(considering the Card Capacity) without installing these licenses?
    The base HW SKU will provide BASE scale (2M FIB, 6M RIB, 32 L3VPNs). All ports will work throughput wise.

- Based on what is mentioned on this link:
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/licensing/topics/concept/flex-licenses-for-mx-and-service-cards.html
    These Premium licenses were replaced with -R and Advanced Licenses were replaced with -IR licenses and they are used for enabling features on the card. Are they used for enabling the port configuration on the cards as well?
    No. That would seperate -RTU HW SKUs. The MPCs mentioned here are full scale in regards to throughput/ports.

-  Can  I  just order( MPC7E-MRATE + S-MX-4C8-P1-P  and MPC7E-10G + S-MX-4C-P1-P) and have all the capacity, features, port configuration combinations?
    Yes. Just remember support SKU for the S-MX licenses (or ask for 3Y/5Y subscriptions which includes support for the period).

-  Can I ignore the -R and -IR licenses with this approach?
    Yes.

Let me know if there any other question you need help with.

--
    Jonas Hauge Klingenberg - Juniper Ambassador

• 3.  RE: Question about S-MX-4C8-P1-P and S-MX-4C-P1-P

Posted 11-23-2021 22:55
    Dear Jonas
    Thank you for the inforamation.

Ali Soltan