Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Junos Upgrade

Posted 04-09-2021 08:01
    I have been having some issues when I run the command "request system software add /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-4300-18.2R3-S7.4-signed.tgz" on my high use virtual chassis.  It seems like the command terminates before being complete and then when the switch reboots , some of the members in the chassis will not come back online.  Is there a way to verify that the command above completed correctly and that the new OS has been added to each member inn the virtual stack?

• 2.  RE: Junos Upgrade

Posted 04-09-2021 08:28
    Hi,

what version are you upgrading from?
    Usually, if you don't set the "reboot" flag, the install should show something like "will be active after reboot/pending" to know that the install was successful.
    If you set the "reboot" flag, the device will install the version and immediately reboot itself after installation.

What error message do you get?
    Can you share the console output?

Christian

------------------------------
    Christian Scholz
    Juniper Networks Ambassador | JNCIE-SEC #374
    Mail: chs@ip4.de
    Blog: jncie.eu | Twitter: @chsjuniper | YT-Channel: netchron
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Junos Upgrade

Posted 04-09-2021 08:36
    Christian,

Thanks for the response.  What happens is when the command is issued on the virtual stack, it uses so many resources that the switch actually drops all connections to the device until it either completes the command or times out.  I have no way of seeing what happens because I have SSH'd to the switch and lose my connection.  I have to relogin to the switch and have no way of seeing is the command completed or not.

• 4.  RE: Junos Upgrade

Posted 04-10-2021 02:20
    If your ssh session is dropped or interrupted then the entire upgrade process stops, since your session and its processes are killed. Member upgrades occur in serial, so the member getting the code push at the moment your ssh session is dropped will be the last one. No member will restart.

You can avoid this by logging in from the console and performing the upgrade there.

The fact that your switch is out of resources and dropping sessions is not normal and is the bigger problem you should resolve first.