Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Warning messages after upgrading Junos on stand alone EX4550 & Backup partition Junos upgrade

Posted 01-11-2022 10:33
    Hi,

Firstly, I have upgraded Junos on EX4550 switch  from Junos version 12.3R6 To 15.1R7-S6.3 successfully on primary partition.
    But after upgrade i see these warnings mentioned below, i use a stand alone switch without any virtual chassis member. so i wonder if these warnings can be ignored or do something to remove these warnings.

warning: This chassis is operating in a non-master role as part of a virtual-chassis (VC) system.
    warning: Use of interactive commands should be limited to debugging and VC Port operations.
    warning: Full CLI access is provided by the Virtual Chassis Master (VC-M) chassis.
    warning: The VC-M can be identified through the show virtual-chassis status command executed at this console.
    warning: Please logout and log into the VC-M to use CLI.

root@ex4550> show virtual-chassis mode
    fpc0:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mixed Mode: Disabled

root@ex4550> show virtual-chassis status

Virtual Chassis ID: 0898.1f5b.b1f8
    Virtual Chassis Mode: Enabled
    Mstr Mixed Route Neighbor List
    Member ID Status Serial No Model prio Role Mode Mode ID Interface
    0 (FPC 0) Prsnt xxxxx ex4550-32f 128 Master* N VC

Member ID for next new member: 1 (FPC 1)

Secondly, after upgrading Junos on EX4550 switch  from Junos version 12.3R6 To 15.1R7-S6.3 on Primary partition, should i run following command "request system snapshot slice alternate" to copy Primary partition (15.1R7-S6.3) to Backup partition(12.3R6)?

The reason why i am asking is when i tried to do  "request system reboot slice alternate" so that after rebooting from backup partition i planned to do junos upgrade same like i did on primary partition. But i got error "mgd: error: rename failed for /var/etc/pam.conf" and could not login to the switch and i have to do password recovery and also "rollback rescue" as the configuration was lost.

So what is best practise to upgrade backup partition after primary partition is been upgraded. Is it "request system snapshot slice alternate" ? can you please help.

Thankyou

Regards

------------------------------
    KALEEMULLAH MOHAMMED

• 2.  RE: Warning messages after upgrading Junos on stand alone EX4550 & Backup partition Junos upgrade

Posted 01-12-2022 05:26
    Hi,

Second question answer i got, its better to do "request system snapshot slice alternate" for copying Junos from Primary partition to backup partition.

Regards

KALEEMULLAH MOHAMMED

• 3.  RE: Warning messages after upgrading Junos on stand alone EX4550 & Backup partition Junos upgrade

Posted 01-19-2022 05:16

Hello Mohammed,

Greetings !!

Currently are you able to login in to the switch if not Kindly have a look on below KB article 
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16348&cat=QFX_SERIES&actp=LIST&act=login

Also the log messages can be cleared by reboot explained here via below article 
    https://community.juniper.net/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=67774

deeksha P

• 4.  RE: Warning messages after upgrading Junos on stand alone EX4550 & Backup partition Junos upgrade

Posted 01-19-2022 10:50
    Hi Deekshap,

Thankyou for the information. It seems after rebooting the switch the warnings are no longer visible when i login to cli.

KALEEMULLAH MOHAMMED