Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  MX960 MPC Licenses mode

Posted 08-23-2020 21:02
      |   view attached

Hi

According to Information on this link:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/topic-map/software_licensing_requirements.html

There are three licenses mode for MPCs:

-Base

-IR

-R

As far as I checked this License level is included in Part Number of the MPC when We want to order, For example we have:

MPC7E-10G

MPC7E-10G-RB

MPC7E-10GE-I-RB

One question here: How this licenses are delivered? A Serial Number or  a file or anything else?

Another question is for MPC10E, there are three Part Numbers as Follow:

1- MPC10E-10C-P-BASE: I assume this is the LC itself

2- S-MX-10C-A1-P: Advanced License feature set for the card.

3- S-MX-10C-P1-P: Professional License feature for the card

Questions:

1- Is there any -R or -IR version of MPC10E?

2-If I get P1 License then will it cover A1 License as well?

3- Same as above, How it is delivered? Serial Number or File or any this else?

My reference was the attached PDF.

Thank you in Advanced 

Alireza

Attachment(s)

pdf
    1000597-en.pdf   907 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: MX960 MPC Licenses mode

Posted 08-23-2020 23:29

Hi Alireza,

For both MPC7E and MPC10E, the licences are paper licences and these are honor based. You have to purchase the licence from Juniper based on your need, have the PO and then start using the features. You don't have add anything any SN or a file to the device. The usage can be audited by JTAC for licences when working on cases.

For MPC10E, no there are no -R or -IR versions. You have the base/standard model, advanced license and the premium. Yes, the premium licence (S-MX-10C-P1-P) covers the advanced licence features. Remember, the -P licences are perpetual and they do not hold any software contract. Instead S-MX-10C-P1-3/5 comes with 3 or 5 year term for software support.

Reference: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/concept/flex-software-subscription-model-support.html#jd0e1335 

Thanks and Regards,

Pradeep Kumar

• 3.  RE: MX960 MPC Licenses mode

Posted 08-23-2020 23:35

In both cases with MPC7E and MPC10E you will get a pdf with a Right-to-Use certificate which includes a "serial number". At a later stage you will probably have to convert these to an actual license which you install on your MX router.

With MPC10E the licensing has transformed into the flex program where tiers are a bit different - but overall -base is gone, advanced matches -IR and premium matches -R.

You can see the difference between the advanced and premium tier at this url: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/concept/flex-software-subscription-model-support.html#jd0e1335

Premium includes the features of advanced.

• 4.  RE: MX960 MPC Licenses mode

Posted 08-23-2020 23:40

Hi

1- What do you mean by "Converting the license" exactly?

2- So S-MX-10C-P1-P is enough and covers everything, right?

3- By Flex program I assume it is "subscription mode " and "Additional Support Contract", Without it we have the license and feature set without support, right?

Thank you 

Alireza

• 5.  RE: MX960 MPC Licenses mode
    Best Answer

Posted 08-24-2020 00:06

1. converting is my wording for generating an actual license which needs to be installed - for this you will need the RTU-number and/or the auth code written on your paper license (which is a pdf in most cases).

2. Covers everything except BNG features.

3. Flex program consists of both subscription licenses for 3 or 5 years which includes support. It can also be purchased in a perpetual version (-P) which is a permanent license, but on this license you need to purchase support on top of the license.

• 6.  RE: MX960 MPC Licenses mode

Posted 08-24-2020 03:54

Hi

Thanks a lot for the information