Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Juniper MX104:Planned for Getting full routes from ISP . Need Suggestion on advantages and Disadavantages

Posted 03-26-2018 23:43
    Hi, I am using Juniper MX104 as a Internet gateway router . We have two internet links with Ebgp . We planned to go for full routes from both the ISP . I need your suggestion on the following 1) Whether MX104 is capable of receiving full routes from two different ISP . 2) Maximum routes that can be learned by the MX104. 3) Best practices or precautions that need to be taken before receiving full routes from ISP . Routing Engine : RE-MX-104 Thanks Mahesh

• 2.  RE: Juniper MX104:Planned for Getting full routes from ISP . Need Suggestion on advantages and Disadavantages
    Best Answer

Posted 03-27-2018 12:16

Hi Mahesh,

2 ISP links can be configured with full BGP table.

You can go through the below thread for more details on MX104

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Routing/MX104-Information/td-p/214953

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!

If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]

//Regards

AD

• 3.  RE: Juniper MX104:Planned for Getting full routes from ISP . Need Suggestion on advantages and Disadavantages

Posted 03-27-2018 19:18

Hi Mahesh,

MX104 is powerful box which is optimized for aggregating mobile, enterprise WAN, business, and residential access services. The router is a high-performance router functioning as a universal aggregation platform for mobile broadband and metro Ethernet applications.

However, I would personally suggest not to consume 2 Full routing tables; unless otherwise there is some real requirement to play with prefixes. Since, learning of 2 Full Internet feed will consume a good amount of Memory/CPU resources of the box.

• 4.  RE: Juniper MX104:Planned for Getting full routes from ISP . Need Suggestion on advantages and Disadavantages

Posted 03-29-2018 02:51

1) Whether MX104 is capable of receiving full routes from two different ISP .

Yes, if the only major purpose of the device is dual peerings and a merged internet table the device should be fine for the services.  But as Python as mentioned this routing capacity and management will be a significant percentage of the FIB so I would not load a number of other services on the device.

2) Maximum routes that can be learned by the MX104.

FIB 1 million RIB 4 million with the current internet active table being under 700 k right now.

3) Best practices or precautions that need to be taken before receiving

For this type of setup, I would establish the sessions one at a time and add the second one after hours.  During convergence routing paths will change and can have minor effects on existing flows to internet sources.  But this is a pretty simple setup without much complication.