Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  MPC7E Information

Posted 06-13-2019 09:04

Hi There,

I was trying to find deep information about an MPC model that we just purchased: the MPC7E-MR-RTU-IRB.

Based on the name I reach this:

MR -> Multi Rate
    RTU -> right-to-use (RTU)
    IRB -> IR Base

IR license should support:

• All Layer 2, Layer 2.5, and Layer 3 features.

• Up to 32 Layer 3 routing instances of the virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) instance. The VRF support includes Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN).

The base

• All Layer 2, Layer 2.5, and Layer 3 features.

• Up to 32 Layer 3 routing instances of the virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) instance. The VRF support includes Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN).

• Up to 2 million routes in the forwarding information base (FIB), provided there is hardware support. (FIB is also known as forwarding table.)

• Up to 6 million routes in the routing information base (RIB), also known as routing table.

So I do not see any limitation in deplyoing VPLS.

Could you please confirm?

More, does someone know what is the meaning of RTU (Right To Use)?

Finally, I understood that activate the license is just for information purpose.

Did I understand correctly?

"

Configuring the license mode enables you to distinguish between an MPC with an IR license and an MPC with an R license after the MPC is installed on the router. An MPC with an R license supports all the Layer 2, Layer 2.5, and Layer 3 features. An MPC with an IR license offers partial support for these features.

The license mode settings are used only to provide information. You cannot set or alter the license of the MPC when you configure the license mode."

Thank you all!

#MPC7E-MR-RTU-IRB

• 2.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 06-13-2019 09:47

Hi FabNewCert,

Below is what I could find

MR -> Multi Rate

RTU à Restricted use (Pay as you grow MPC) ie MPC with limited number of ports licensed for use

IRB à L3, L2 and L2.5 features; Full IP FIB for advanced peering/transit and infrastructure VPN; 32 VPNs per MPC

Regards,

Jibu

• 3.  RE: MPC7E Information
    Best Answer

Posted 06-13-2019 12:04

The RTU means that you are only allowed to use the first 6 x 40G QSFP ports (or 2 x 100G). Additional 3 x 40G  ports can be purchased via the 'S-MPC7E-MR-IR-ADD1' SKU.

The licensing scheme for MPC7E allows you to use all features except JFLOW, HQoS and Per-vlan queuing up to the scaling you already mentioned. In your case you can deploy up to 32 VPLS instances (32 VPNs) on the MPC.

If your need more than 32 VPNs (VPLS or L3VPN) you can buy an upgrade via the  'S-MPC7E-MRATE-R' SKU + matching support (SVC-COR-S-MPC7E-R / PAR-SUP-S-MPC7E-R). That will give you up the the hardware limits of the MPC (several thousands).

IR scaling on MPC7 is around 10 mio routes in FIB and RIB depends on your routing-engine.

Above licensing are all honor-based so you don't install a license and you will not get a warning when configuring eg. 33 VPNs... but you must still comply with the licensing and buy the upgrade if needed. Same for the remaing 6 x QSFP ports.

• 4.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 07-22-2019 07:47

Jonay, hello!

Do you know, how many sessions and queues MPC7E support(QoS)?

Sincerelly, Vlad.

• 5.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 07-22-2019 08:17

The base MPC7E allows you to use 8 queues per physical port.

To enable up to 32K queues across the icensed ports you will need the 'S-MPC7E-PVQ'. Full scale HQoS with 512K queues per MPC is reached via the 'S-MPC7EQ-MR-RTU-IR' license.

There is no upgrade SKU from Per-vlan-queuing (PVQ) and enhanced queuing (EQ) and the licenses are the same across both RTU and "all ports" MPCs.

The PVQ license can only be bought for the entire MPC where EQ license can be bought matching the RTU-version of the card.

Also remember the matching support SKUs for these licenses as they are not covered by the hardware support.

I hope this helps clarifying 🙂

• 6.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 06-17-2020 01:31

Hi, how many S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1 can you add to the MPC7E-MR-RTU card, if the MPC7E-MR-RTU comes with 240G my view is that you can add 2 x S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1 to get to the total of 480G, but the hardware configurator does not allow you to add more than two, what am I missing here?

• 7.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 06-17-2020 02:14

Hi Ian,

I do not understand your question... your view is that you can add up to 2 x S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1 to a MPCE7-MRATE-RTU to provide the full capacity of the MPC - and you can add two licenses in the configurator. That matches your expectation.

Please let me if I have misunderstood your question.

• 8.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 06-17-2020 02:26

hi Jonas, sorry my mistake the configurator only allows you to add 1 x S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1 per MPCE7-MRATE-RTU, in my view, you should be able to add 2 x S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1 per MPCE7-MRATE-RTU. Maybe I should ask how many S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1 are you allowed to be added to an MPCE7-MRATE-RTU?

• 9.  RE: MPC7E Information

Posted 06-17-2020 12:44

No I looked back through the ordering documentation and overall you are able to add 2 x -ADD1 licenses to a MP7E-MRATE-RTU which will give right to use all ports. Looks like the configurator has an error in this scenario (tested myself).

But - you have to be aware of the licensing level of your MPC7E-MRATE-RTU before adding ports.

The MPC7E-MRATE-RTU is the base scale which can be upgraded to -IR or -R via S-MPC7E-MR-RTU-IR and S-MPC7E-MR-RTU-R - or you can buy it directly as -IR or -R as MPC7E-MRATE-RTU-IRB/MPC7E-MRATE-RTU-RB.

When you have selected the right scaling license then you can add more ports if needed via the ADD1 SKUs - but the SKUs are defined based on scale tier:

Base: S-MPC7E-MR-ADD1

IR: S-MPC7E-MR-IR-ADD1

R: S-MPC7E-MR-R-ADD1

I see in you last comment that you are looking at the base scale MPC7E-MRATE-RTU SKU but -R scale ADD1 licenses... so be aware not to mix these up 🙂