Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  BRAS hardware requirement

Posted 08-30-2020 23:10

Hi All!

I am configuring to buy hardware for full support "DHCP dynamic subscribers" management (including "captive portal content delivery"). I planning:

MX240

2xSCBE-MX

2xRE-S-1800X4-16G

MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP as uplinks

is there a need to include in the configuration MS-MPC or MS-MIC (or their combination)? if yes - advise specific models.

p.s. planned number of subscribers ~ 10k

thank you so much!

• 2.  RE: BRAS hardware requirement
    Best Answer

Posted 08-30-2020 23:46

Hello,

MS-MPC or MC-MIC is not required for vanilla BRAS (or LAC or LNS) functionality.

Captive Portal functionality can be done on Routing Engine and also does not require MS-MPC/MS-MIC.

However, if You also plan to enable CGNAT and/or DPI and/or URL filtering then You need MS-MPC or MS-MIC.

How many - it depends on the volume of traffic that needs to be CGNATed/DPIed/URL filtered.

HTHY

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: BRAS hardware requirement

Posted 08-31-2020 00:23
    Thanks for your reply!
    1) but what about Feature navigator ?
    2) Captive Portal functionality on Routing Engine in my test configuration (based on mx80) does not work with error
    ServiceConfigMgr: init ../../../../../src/junos/usr.sbin/cpcdd/services/servicesManager.cc:2614
    timerExpired ../../../../../src/junos/usr.sbin/cpcdd/services/servicesManager.cc:1691 connected to lpdfd
    lpdfdCliClientConnection ../../../../../src/junos/usr.sbin/cpcdd/services/servicesManager.cc:2647pconn event: 2cookie : 0x1ae0b40
    Aug 31 10:18:46 PCONN_EVENT_FAILED/SHUTDOWN
    whether this error applies only to mx80 and on mx240 this error will not happen?
    I need to understand this clearly to draw up the final configuration...

• 4.  RE: BRAS hardware requirement

Posted 08-31-2020 00:50

Hi, read this doc. 

MS-MPC or MS-MIC you will need only for CGNAT, if required. 

MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP nit qualified for BNG , you can use them only for uplinks. 

I do not know what those messages means and why cpcd does not work , it is impossible to identify without exact junos version and configuration of your box.

• 5.  RE: BRAS hardware requirement

Posted 08-31-2020 01:07

Thanks for your reply!

which card is suitable for bng? the main requirement is the presence of 10g ports (xfp or sfp+).

===

Junos: 20.2R1.10

hw config - CHAS-MX80-T-S, MIC-3D-20GE-SFP

there is no physical lpdfd file in this junos version and netstat does not show any information related to this daemon either.

• 6.  RE: BRAS hardware requirement

Posted 08-31-2020 01:48

MPC2/MPC2-NG/MPC3-NG/MPC5/MPC7

And plz, read TSB17733 , EOL Announcement for many MX components.