Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Running a Linux server as a VNF on the NFX platforms

Posted 05-18-2018 12:24

I wasn't sure which forum to ask this question, so I went with this one.    My company is beginning to work with the NFX-250's, and are looking at ways to capitalize on the capabilities.   Has anyone run a Linux server within an NFX-250?  I tried to install a version of Ubuntu, however, when I tried to virsh console into it, I had no responses at all.   the VNF said running, but nothing.   Is there any documentation on this, the Juniper site is lacking on this.

thanks,

Tim Johnson / Sr. Systems Engineer / Network and Security Engineering

Rockwell Collins IMS

• 2.  RE: Running a Linux server as a VNF on the NFX platforms
    Best Answer

Posted 05-19-2018 06:53

We are also experiementing with the NFX platform in the lab and finding the same diffculties.  The expectation from Juniper is that the device will be managed from the Contrail Orchestrator so the information on manual operations is brief.

Chapter 5 in this document is the overview on adding vms to the box.  You need to manually load the files and configure the launch of vms simliar to these instructions.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/pathway-pages/nfx-series/nfx250-jdm-user-guide.pdf

• 3.  RE: Running a Linux server as a VNF on the NFX platforms

Posted 05-20-2018 09:29

Hi,

How are you spinning the VNF? What is the serial/console definition in you VNF? Below is the one which has the working console:

<serial type='pty'>
          <target port='0'/>
        </serial>
        <console type='pty'>
          <target type='serial' port='0'/>
        </console>

You can check the same in your xml , "virsh dumpxml <VNF name>"

Thanks,

Vikas

• 4.  RE: Running a Linux server as a VNF on the NFX platforms

Posted 05-21-2018 13:05

I had some success today and was able get an Ubuntu VNF running and can get console access.    This is a simple config, so I imagine I'll do memory allocations.  Only problem I have is the default username and password.   It's not set during setup of the VNF, so I have to figure out where to do it.

virtual-network-functions ubuntu {
    image {
    /var/third-party/images/ubuntu-16.04-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img;
    }
    virtual-cpu {
    count 2;
    }
    no-default-interfaces;
    interfaces eth0 {
    management internal;
    }
    interfaces eth1 {
    management out-of-band;

The chapter that Steve Puluka mentioned helped get me this far.   Thanks Steve.