Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  ELS VOIP Configuration

Posted 08-07-2020 06:52

Hi experts,

Looking for some help for straight forward VOIP configuration (PC plugged into Phone plugged into access interface) on EX switch.

I taught the data vlan just needs to be configured on an access interface as the interfaces only vlan member and the voice vlan/interface needs to be configured under "switching-options voip". However this document

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/802-1x-pnac-voip-no-802-1x-ex-series-configuring-els.html

contradicts that and shows an extra step where the interface is also configured in switch-options underneath the VLAN. Similar in ways to how non-els voip configuration was done. E.g

vlans {

data-vlan {

vlan-id 77;

switch-options {

interface ge-0/0/2.0;

I originally taught this was a mistake in the document but have found the same configuration it in at least one other reference (the JNCIE-ENT Self study bundle).

So can any explain why the interface being configured for the VOIP vlan needs to be configured under both Switch-options->Voip and also under vlan->vlan-name->switch-options. Need to know for exam purposes, in practice I have deployed this without the vlan->vlan-name->switch-options and it seems to work just fine. 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: ELS VOIP Configuration
    Best Answer

Posted 08-08-2020 18:29

Hi alkavana,

Greetings, I can confirm and guarantee that this portion of the configuration is not needed: 

switch-options {

interface ge-0/0/2.0;

Not sure why it is there but again it is not needed for VoIP, and there is a lot of documentation that does not have this configuration, the official Juniper training material for JNCIP-ENT does not have this configuration either. 

The switch-option under the VLAN hierarchy is used to configure Layer 2 learning and forwarding properties for a set of bridge domains/vlan such as the following:

None of these are needed or related to VoIP minimum required configuration.

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB