Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  ICL on MC-LAG A/A

Posted 07-02-2019 05:27

Hi All,

I am quite new to MC-LAG in Juniper but i found documentation enough to start with.

I need to design MC-LAG A/A with mx-10003.

From here: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/nce/topics/concept/mc-lag-on-core-understanding.html Fig.1

I can see that ICL and ICCP are physically 2 separated interface (both aggregated ethernet interface). Best practice are also listed on that link so no need to report here.

Collecting these information I understood:

- ICL must be a layer2 trunk interface. All vlans configured on the ae facing the customer, need to be trunked on the ICL interface

- ICCP can be layer2 and layer3.  ICCP need to be configured as a normal protocol.

"The recommended method is to have both Layer 2 and Layer 3 reachability and use loopback or interface"

ref: Juniper MX Series, 2nd Edition

Question:

- Could you please confirm that my understanding is correct?

- More, is there any way to plan the bandwith needed for ICL and ICCP (basically the bandwith of ICL and ICCP)?

Thanks all as usual for your support.

• 2.  RE: ICL on MC-LAG A/A
    Best Answer

Posted 07-02-2019 07:34

Hi FabNewCert,

- ICL must be a layer2 trunk interface. All vlans configured on the ae facing the customer, need to be trunked on the ICL interface

Mengzhe - Yes. Your understanding is correct 

- ICCP can be layer2 and layer3.  ICCP need to be configured as a normal protocol

Mengzhe - In practise, use of layer 2 interface with irb is mostly deployed 

"The recommended method is to have both Layer 2 and Layer 3 reachability and use loopback or interface"

Mengzhe - Right. bridge interface with irb is remmended 

- Could you please confirm that my understanding is correct?

Mengzhe - Looks all correct to me 

- More, is there any way to plan the bandwith needed for ICL and ICCP (basically the bandwith of ICL and ICCP)?

Mengzhe -

ICCP is only for control traffic, BW requirement is pretty minimum. 1G link is more than enough. You can also put ICL and ICCP on the same physical interface 

ICL link may carry upto half ot the BW of your total traffic for all participated VLAN. I am not an expert in planning the BW. But I've seen lots of implementation that ICL link is equal or a bit lesser than total MC-LAG BW