Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?

Posted 03-23-2018 08:39

I have a 4600/4300 mixed stack.  I have the process to backup the config (juniper.conf.gz) via ftp or by simply copying the config via putty logging, etc.  But what do I need to do to backup any operational mode settings I may have done, such as configuring vcp's, the chassis mode, etc?  Is this even necessary?  

• 2.  RE: Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?

Posted 03-23-2018 12:43

Hi,

As per my understanding, you are looking for an option to backup the "request commands" which were executed during VC formation?

//Regards

AD

• 3.  RE: Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?
    Best Answer

Posted 03-23-2018 22:30

As far as i understand the query, you would want to do know which commands to be available in backup.

Show config will suffice your requirements or juniper.conf0.gz copy will also do.

You do not need to copy operational commands of vcp or vc as a part of backup.

HTH..

• 4.  RE: Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?

Posted 03-24-2018 04:15

Everything you need to restore the cluster is in that configuration file.

• 5.  RE: Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?

Posted 03-27-2018 10:11

Thanks for the replies.

If I understand correctly, everything that is needed to restore a cluster is in the juniper.config.tz.  So if the cluster for any reason, is lost in a fire, or some disaster or another, I can restore the juniper.config.tz and all vcp and config would be restored.

But this brings to mind more questions: 

1. I am using preprovisioning, wouldnt the juniper.config.tz have the associated serial numbers of the failed switches?  How is this dealt with?

2. Out of curiosity, if I loose just 1 switch to comlete hardware failure and have to replace it which is much more likely, would there be any reason at all to restore the config.tz file to the new blank switch? Seems like this would possibly cause problems.

• 6.  RE: Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?

Posted 03-27-2018 19:43

Hi Folks,

My 2 cents on this...

A preprovisioned configuration file links the serial number of each EX4200 switch in the configuration to a specified member ID and role. The serial number must be specified in the configuration file for the member to be recognized as part of the Virtual Chassis configuration.

If you are expanding a preprovisioned configuration, made a note of the serial number (the number is on the back of the switch). You will need to edit the Virtual Chassis configuration to include the serial number of the new member switch.

If you are expanding a preprovisioned configuration, edited the existing Virtual Chassis configuration to include the serial number of the new member switch. The parameters specified in the master Virtual Chassis configuration file are applied to the new switch after it has been interconnected to an existing member switch.

Note: After you have created a preprovisioned Virtual Chassis configuration, you can use the autoprovisioning feature to add member switches to that configuration.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/virtual-chassis-ex4200-member-adding-cli.html

• 7.  RE: Backing up Junos / Operational mode ?

Posted 03-28-2018 03:10

1. I am using preprovisioning, wouldnt the juniper.config.tz have the associated serial numbers of the failed switches?  How is this dealt with?

Yes, these do understand the serial numbers.

2. Out of curiosity, if I loose just 1 switch to comlete hardware failure and have to replace it which is much more likely, would there be any reason at all to restore the config.tz file to the new blank switch? Seems like this would possibly cause problems.

In this case you will not need the file as the configuration will be preserved on the other members you will need to replace the existing member.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/cable-ex4600-virtual-chassis.html