Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  delay- buffer-rate example

Posted 10-28-2017 14:30

Hi everyone,

Just want  to  confim my understanding of the command " delay-buffer-rate" usage

On MX5, delay buffer for shapers is calacuated as follows (assuming shaper is configued)

100 msec * Shaped rate 

For shaper at 20M

100msec * 20^6=

.1*20^6=2^6

2000,000 bits or  200,000/8=250KBytes

If we use delay-buffer-rate in traffic control profile i.e

delay-buffer-rate  30M

are we saying the delay buffer is based on same 100 msec time but we are using specified rate i.e 30M not the shaper rate i.e

100 msec*30M= Delay buffer size?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!!

• 2.  RE: delay- buffer-rate example
    Best Answer

Posted 10-29-2017 06:06

Hi,

Your understanding is correct.

The delay-buffer rate overrides the shaping rate as the basis for the delay-buffer calculation. In other words, the shaping rate or scaled shaping rate is used for delay-buffer calculations only when the delay-buffer rate is not configured.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos11.1/topics/usage-guidelines/cos-oversubscribing-interface-bandwidth.html#id-11138786

On Trio, you get 100ms worth of buffers if shaping-rate >= 1gbps and 500ms for shaping-rate < 1gbps

delay-buffer-rate is independent of the guaranteed-rate and shaping-rate. It allows you to specify a rate to be used for delay-buffer calculations.  If you don’t configure delay-buffer-rate then guarateed-rate is used for iflset/ifl for delay-buffer calculations and shaping-rate for ifds.  For ifls and iflsets if guaranteed-rate-rate is not specified, the shaping-rate is used. If no rate is specified, port speed is used.

Regards,

Rahul