Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-03-2020 05:33

All I did was reboot a EX4200 stack and one member didn't come up.  It was working fine before the reboot.  This member has the larger power supplies for POE on all 48 ports.  The front panel display for 'Status' shows PWR0 and PWR1 'Absent' which is nuts because they are both present and running (otherwise the front panel wouldn't work).  Also shows FANS 'Failed' but I hear them.  TEMP is 'Ok'.  But no LED's on ports are on and J-web shows it as 'Inactive'.  

• 2.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-03-2020 05:49

If the failures are false alarms and not a real failure, I think your best bet will be to:

• Power off the affected blade
    • Remove and reseat the custom cable connecting the affected ex to the VC
    • pull and reinsert the power supplies (both if you are running dual)
    • Power the blade back on again

• 3.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-03-2020 11:03

Thanks.  I forgot to mention the version of JunOS showed on the front panel display was 12 instead of 15, which the rest of the stack is running.  However I don't know if this indicates anything wrong- to stack members get JunOS from the master when booting?

• 4.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-03-2020 11:42

Yes the version is a good clue.

This likely means the partition was corrupted and the ex booted to the backup partition which had the old Junos on it.

You will need to upgrade this member again to be the same version as the rest of the VC.

And then you will want to run a snapshot to put the correct version onto the backup partition for all members

request system snapshot slice alternate 

• 5.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-03-2020 15:10

Can the member be upgrade while still a part of the stack?

• 6.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-03-2020 18:43

I logged into the inactive member and a 'df' shows the root disk is /dev/da0s1a.  On the other active members the root is /dev/da0s2a.  So it appears it may have booted to a backup partition as suggested.

I would appreciate advice what to do next.  Can this be resolved while it's part of the VC?  If I returned this member to factory default would this repair /dev/da0s2a?  Would the switch then automatically update and join the VC?

Thanks!

• 7.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-04-2020 02:09

The safest way is to disconnect the VC cable and run the upgrade process then reconnect when complete.

But I have run upgrades while connected to the VC without issue in the past on an ex4200 stack member.

• 8.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-05-2020 07:59

We disconnected the member and did a return to factory default.  It was now running version 12.  We reconnected one VC cable and attempted to update from 12 to 15.  This failed due to lack of disk space.  We then did the update from USB.

Everything is working again however the primary on this member is da0s2a.  If I do a:
    request system snapshot slice alternate

Will it be smart enough to realize that slice 2 is the primary not slice 1?  I don't want it to copy slice 1 to 2.

Also after copying how would I return slice 1 to being the primary?

And last where is the 'request system snapshot' command fully documented?  Not in the CLI manual.

Thanks again!

• 9.  Re: EX4200 member didn't come back up after reboot?

Posted 11-06-2020 02:54

The designation of primary partition is dynamic based on circumstances so there is not issue with either one being primary and no need to force a change.

cli doc

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-system-snapshot.html

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/request-system-snapshot-scenarios.html