Data Center

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Data Center Architecture and approaches.
  • 1.  SFP-T + SFP+ physical layout in QFX-5120-48Y

Posted 02-10-2021 08:08

Hello Community,

i know it's not possible to plug two SFP-T optics vertically into a 1U Switch (e.g. QFX-5120-48Y). But is it possible to combine a SFP-T and a SFP+ optics vertically?
    So that I can use 24 SFP-T and 24 SFP+ optics simultaneously?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    sydney

• 2.  RE: SFP-T + SFP+ physical layout in QFX-5120-48Y
    Best Answer

Posted 02-11-2021 09:03
    Edited by slangnickel 02-11-2021 11:01
    This isn't entirely accurate anymore.

The QFX5120-48Y can't have SFP-T's inserted vertically when using older SFP-T variations due to physical restrictions. With newer variations, however, you can populate all 48 ports. Juniper no longer ships the type that has the restriction, so no special part number is needed. Obviously, I cannot speak to what you may have installed now or any third party optics.

With that in mind there is no reason you couldn't populate all 48 ports with either SFP+ or SFP-T.

• 3.  RE: SFP-T + SFP+ physical layout in QFX-5120-48Y

Posted 02-11-2021 09:54
    Thank you Jordan. Is there a source in which this is described? It would not be old optics, but a new order of:

JNP-SFPP-10GE-T and QFX-SFP-1GE-T.

Both are supported by the QFX5120-48Y.

SYDNEY LANGNICKEL

• 4.  RE: SFP-T + SFP+ physical layout in QFX-5120-48Y

Posted 02-11-2021 10:24
    I do not have a documented source for that.

Both part numbers are supported.  Newer QFX-SFP-1GE-Ts address the issue I already mentioned.  JNP-SFPP-10GE-T was never affected.

Jordan Head
    Resident Engineer - Sr. Staff
    JNCIEx3 (SP|DC|ENT)

• 5.  RE: SFP-T + SFP+ physical layout in QFX-5120-48Y

Posted 02-11-2021 11:17
    Hi Sydney,
    this is an excerpt from QFX5120 Switch Hardware Guide https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/qfx5120-system-overview.html:
    "CAUTION

Do not install 1GbE copper transceivers (such as QFX-SFP-1GE-T) directly above or below another 1GbE copper transceiver. Use only the top row or bottom row to avoid damage to the device caused by some types of copper transceivers when the transceivers are installed above or below each other. However, if you are using copper transceivers with the OEM part number FCLF8521P2BTL-J1 printed on the transceiver label, you can install the transceivers in any port with no restrictions. For devices that support 10GbE copper transceivers, there is no similar restriction."

Ridha Hamidi