vMX

View Only
last person joined: 9 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about vMX.
  • 1.  Multiple North Star Controllers as PCE and vMX as PCC

Posted 05-27-2020 19:21

Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing fine,  I am trying to learn North star bascics as PCE and vMX as PCC.

Let say we have two vMX1 and vMX2 as PCC, we have two north star ( NS1) and NS2, both vMX rely on controllers for LSP 's provision . There is no HA configured between these NS1 and NS2. 

1)Will MX send PCEP traffic  to both NS1 and NS2 or they will choose one and talk to that NS only ?

2) Can, both NS1 and NS2, be used independly to control vMX's LSP? for example, Jon is using NS1 to provosion  LSP1 on VMX1, while George is using NS2 to provision LSP2 on vMX2

Thanks and have a good night!!

• 2.  RE: Multiple North Star Controllers as PCE and vMX as PCC
    Best Answer

Posted 05-27-2020 21:24

Hello,

@sarahr202 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing fine,  I am trying to learn North star bascics as PCE and vMX as PCC.

Let say we have two vMX1 and vMX2 as PCC, we have two north star ( NS1) and NS2, both vMX rely on controllers for LSP 's provision . There is no HA configured between these NS1 and NS2. 

1)Will MX send PCEP traffic  to both NS1 and NS2 or they will choose one and talk to that NS only ?

At any given time, MX will communicate with 1 "main" PCE only (lowest priority/first in the config if priority is not configured, then second if 1st fails, then 3rd if 2nd fails and so on)

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/pcep-configuration.html#id-example-configuring-the-path-computation-element-protocol-for-mpls-rsvp-te

A PCC can connect to a maximum of 10 stateful PCEs. At any given point in time, there can be only one main PCE (the PCE with the lowest priority value, or the PCE that connects to the PCC first in the absence of a PCE priority) to which the PCC delegates LSPs for path computation.

@sarahr202 wrote:

2) Can, both NS1 and NS2, be used independly to control vMX's LSP? for example, Jon is using NS1 to provosion  LSP1 on VMX1, while George is using NS2 to provision LSP2 on vMX2

Yes but then it negates a centralized BW control benefit (==better bin packing). The point of centralized controller is to let a single entity have an overarching view of the available BW in the whole network, and hence let it utilize BW better. 2 controllers means 2 brains are controlling the body.

HTH

Thx

Alex