vMX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about vMX.
  • 1.  vMX Evaluation Licensing

Posted 06-05-2020 20:42

Hello! I was wondering what happens, feature/bandwidth-wise, when the 60 day evaluation license expires for vMX, vQFX, and vSRX. If anyone could help me with an answer to this question or a link to a resource for this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I tried researching this topic for myself with no avail.

Thank you for your time in advance!

• 2.  RE: vMX Evaluation Licensing
    Best Answer

Posted 06-05-2020 21:18

Hi kelvintechie, 

Greetings, 

Within 30 days of the license expiration date, a license expiration warning appears each time you log in to the vSRX instance. After the product evaluation license expires, you will not be able to use the vSRX; it will be disabled and flow configuration options will not work (the vSRX will stop forwarding traffic).

> At this point, only management interfaces and CLI configurations are preserved. 

Hope this helps, also I believe the below link would help.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/topic-map/vsrx-licensing.html

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur

• 3.  RE: vMX Evaluation Licensing

Posted 06-05-2020 22:10

Assuming that this applies for all Juniper evaluation licenses (including the vMX and vQFX alongside the vQFX), this answers my question. I didn't find that resource because I was searching specifically for vMX documentation. Thanks for your help! I've marked it as the accepted solution.

• 4.  RE: vMX Evaluation Licensing

Posted 06-06-2020 02:04

Hello!

Actually the behavior for vMX is differently. Here is a quote from the public documentation:

"You can download the vMX software BASE application package with 1 Mbps bandwidth and evaluate it without a license."

After the evaluation period is expired, vMX does not stop working, it is just reduced to a 1 Mbps throughput limit, but you can use the features of the BASE license (IP routing with 256,000 routes in the forwarding table) without any interruption further.

Please note that this is just the technical aspect, the product itself is still not licensed and may violate license policies.

Here you can find the whole documentation:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/topic-map/vmx-licensing.html