vMX

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about vMX.
  • 1.  vMX concerns: management interface, How to enable other ge-* interfaces

Posted 04-11-2018 16:51

Installations Procedure:

Installed thru ESXi using OVA files

•I am encountering a removal of IP address configuration for my VFP after a reboot. I have setup the br-ext by editing the /etc/network/interfaces. Config is as follows:

auto ext

iface ext init static

address M.M.M.X

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway M.M.M.Y

and restart the networking service using /etc/init.d/networking restart command.

Is there any way I can make this a persistent configuration? That the IP configuration would not be gone after a reboot.

• How to set management IP Address for my VCP? I'm not sure which interface should I configure from these list:
    Interfaces_1.pngInterfaces_2.png

• Also, how to enable the rest of the ge-* interfaces? From my setup, only ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1 are UP. The rest are DOWN

• 2.  RE: vMX concerns: management interface, How to enable other ge-* interfaces
    Best Answer

Posted 04-11-2018 19:07

Hi lkenetadmin,

Answers inline:

How to set management IP Address for my VCP? I'm not sure which interface should I configure from these list:

Configure the Fxp0 interface and assign the ip address to it.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx17.1/information-products/pathway-pages/getting-started/vmx-gsg-vmware.pdf

refer Page no:17 for diagram with explanation on how to configure the VCP Management interface.

Also, how to enable the rest of the ge-* interfaces? From my setup, only ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1 are UP. The rest are DOWN

Answer: 

Try adding the Network adapters to the VFP to bringup the other interfaces

• 3.  RE: vMX concerns: management interface, How to enable other ge-* interfaces

Posted 04-11-2018 19:16

How about the problem of my VFP regarding the management interface? When I reboot VFP, and then run ifconfig

The IP address configuration is not applied. I will need to restart the networking service again to make it work.

• 4.  RE: vMX concerns: management interface, How to enable other ge-* interfaces

Posted 04-11-2018 21:55

Hi Lkenetadmin,

Issue is that /etc is initially from read only partition and the file modified is then mounted later.
    there is no script packaged currently that will do that after the mount operation and only way is to trigger networking restart.

Hope this helps
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
    Kudos are always appreciated!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: vMX concerns: management interface, How to enable other ge-* interfaces

Posted 04-11-2018 23:35

Thank you very much for answering my questions.