Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 09-25-2021 08:49

Hi.

Here is Junos Documentation on an OSPF Sham link.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junose15.1/topics/concept/ospf-sham-links-overview.html

I understand what a Sham link does.

But the documentation references an OSPF backdoor link between L3VPN customer sites. What exactly is a backdoor link? Is it a physical connection between sites? That would seem unlikely since the sites are geographically distant (hence the use of an L3VPN to interconnect them).

Can anyone describe how a backdoor link is implemented?

Thanks,

Deepak

Juniper Business Use Only

• 2.  RE: Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 09-27-2021 10:24
    You are correct about a link connecting 2 sites together as a "backdoor".  In the link you posted, the diagram shows customer site 4 & 5 having this backdoor link.  This link could be a p2p link, LTE, or broadband, etc., using IPSec to provide redundancy for the site.(it could also be a legacy connection of some kind)  It's not often I've seen this in production, but I have actually seen it.  Typically you use domain-id's when dealing with backdoor links.

• 3.  RE: Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 09-27-2021 11:04

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Do you know what makes this backdoor link less preferred than connectivity via the L3VPN ?

Thanks,

Deepak

Juniper Business Use Only

• 4.  RE: Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 09-27-2021 11:33
    you could play around w/ the link metrics, but one thing to keep in mind is intra-area lsa's are preferred over inter-area lsa's.  So that could play a factor in how the preferred path is handled.