Routing

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

Question on OSPF backdoor link.

• 1.  Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 27 days ago

Hi.

Here is Junos Documentation on an OSPF Sham link.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junose15.1/topics/concept/ospf-sham-links-overview.html

I understand what a Sham link does.

But the documentation references an OSPF backdoor link between L3VPN customer sites. What exactly is a backdoor link? Is it a physical connection between sites? That would seem unlikely since the sites are geographically distant (hence the use of an L3VPN to interconnect them).

Can anyone describe how a backdoor link is implemented?

Thanks,

Deepak

Juniper Business Use Only

• 2.  RE: Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 25 days ago
    You are correct about a link connecting 2 sites together as a "backdoor".  In the link you posted, the diagram shows customer site 4 & 5 having this backdoor link.  This link could be a p2p link, LTE, or broadband, etc., using IPSec to provide redundancy for the site.(it could also be a legacy connection of some kind)  It's not often I've seen this in production, but I have actually seen it.  Typically you use domain-id's when dealing with backdoor links.

• 3.  RE: Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 25 days ago

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Do you know what makes this backdoor link less preferred than connectivity via the L3VPN ?

Thanks,

Deepak

Juniper Business Use Only

• 4.  RE: Question on OSPF backdoor link.

Posted 25 days ago
    you could play around w/ the link metrics, but one thing to keep in mind is intra-area lsa's are preferred over inter-area lsa's.  So that could play a factor in how the preferred path is handled.