Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  New IP Address

Posted 08-11-2021 19:29
    I was looking over one of our routers and found this static routing-option

route 208.xxx.xxx.0/19 {
    discard;
    community 16832:64516;
    }

This is one of our IP blocks from ARIN and I was wondering if this static route is set up to prevent our IP's from being re-advertised into our network? This is how I interrupted this static route. We are about to add a new IP block we acquired from another small ISP and since it will be assigned to our AS I thought I would have to create a static route like this for the new block.  Am I understanding this correctly? Thank you

• 2.  RE: New IP Address

Posted 08-11-2021 19:34
    Having a static discard route with a community attached is most likely setup so that the route is created specifically for distribution into BGP peerings.

Take a look at the export policies in place on this device and a term will likely be there looking for the community.

The community will probably be configured with a name under
    policy-options community NAME 16832:64516

That community NAME will then be used in bgp policy to choose what to do with these routes during import or export operations.

Adding a second route with this same community will likely then be treated the same way as the existing route in bgp policy.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------