Routing

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

New IP Address

• 1.  New IP Address

Posted 08-11-2021 19:29
    I was looking over one of our routers and found this static routing-option

route 208.xxx.xxx.0/19 {
    discard;
    community 16832:64516;
    }

This is one of our IP blocks from ARIN and I was wondering if this static route is set up to prevent our IP's from being re-advertised into our network? This is how I interrupted this static route. We are about to add a new IP block we acquired from another small ISP and since it will be assigned to our AS I thought I would have to create a static route like this for the new block.  Am I understanding this correctly? Thank you

• 2.  RE: New IP Address

Posted 08-11-2021 19:34
    Having a static discard route with a community attached is most likely setup so that the route is created specifically for distribution into BGP peerings.

Take a look at the export policies in place on this device and a term will likely be there looking for the community.

The community will probably be configured with a name under
    policy-options community NAME 16832:64516

That community NAME will then be used in bgp policy to choose what to do with these routes during import or export operations.

Adding a second route with this same community will likely then be treated the same way as the existing route in bgp policy.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------