Routing

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Multiple sites in the same VPLS routing instance

Posted 03-24-2021 02:46
    Hi. 

I have a labbed BGP-VPLS network where  PE1 is connected to two CEs of the same VPLS i.e. PE1 has two CE-facing interfaces. On PE1, I would normally configure both interfaces within the same site (A) as follows:
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site A site-identifier 1
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site A interface lt-0/0/0.2
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site A interface lt-0/0/0.4

But I could also have each CE-facing interface in separate sites (A and B) within the same routing instance as follows:
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site A site-identifier 1
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site A interface lt-0/0/0.2
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site B site-identifier 4
    set routing-instances VPN-A protocols vpls site B interface lt-0/0/0.4

This prompts PE1 to send a second BGP advertisement for the site B, which everyone else seems to ignore (based on the fact they they don't install a second pseudowire label to sent traffic towards PE1.. they still use the first pseudowire they computed for site A  to send traffic to both of PE1's CEs)

So my question is.. is there any reason to configure PE1 with a second site under the same VPLS routing-instance?

Thanks,
    Deepak

• 2.  RE: Multiple sites in the same VPLS routing instance

Posted 03-25-2021 11:29
    I wonder if this link will help.

https://juniper-nsp.puck.nether.narkive.com/nvo0m5Yg/j-nsp-ldp-vpls-multi-homing

------------------------------
    Aaron Gould
    Senior Network Engineer
    aaron@gvtc.com
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/agould123/
    ------------------------------