Routing

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-17-2021 05:39
    After a customer has upgraded has upgraded a QFX, the below has shown up:

evpn {
    encapsulation vxlan;
    vni-options {
    vni 10055 {
    vrf-target export target:1:10055; ## Warning: 'export' is deprecated
    }
    vni 10056 {
    vrf-target export target:1:10056; ## Warning: 'export' is deprecated
    }

I can't seem to find anything on this. Does this mean the configuration is having no effect and therefore being ignored? There have been no reports of issues. 

Also, how should specific VNI RTs be configured now?

Thanks for looking.

------------------------------
    Regalis

JNCIE-ENT

• 2.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-17-2021 09:28
    Edited by emacdermid 12-17-2021 14:18
    Hi Regalis

look at this link, maybe you could find what you are looking for

EVPN vrf-target-auto-manual

Quoting a text from the TechLibrary:

A command that has been deprecated in a release or in a particular configuration mode returns a notice when you issue the command manually:

NOTICE: This command is obsolete. It may be completely removed from a subsequent software release.

A preferred alternate command is provided in the notice. If you have a script that uses the deprecated command, the deprecated command is automatically mapped to the preferred command when you run the script. If the deprecated command no longer has a function, then that command has no effect when you run a script containing the command.

Regards

Max Leonel

• 3.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-17-2021 14:19
    Hi Max,

Thanks for the clarification of the 'deprecated' statement.

With regards to the link, I should have mentioned the device was upgraded to 21.2. The link you refer to is based on 15.1 and describes the configuration using the now deprecated commands in my original post. I wish Juniper would be more forthcoming on the replacement command(s).

Thanks

Regalis

PAUL HERBERT

• 4.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-18-2021 06:03
    These types of changes will be noted in the Junos release notes in the section on "What's Changed".

The difficulty comes because most of us are jumping many versions as you are here going from 15 to 21.  So in order to find this you need to check the What's changed section in all of the jumped versions.  In your case 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 5.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-18-2021 09:26
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.

You  misunderstand, I did not say the customer went from 15 to 21. I stated they are on 21 and that the article Max referred to discusses 15. The article states to configure this the way it is currently configured and that causes the warning message. 

I do not feel that if Juniper choose to make such a significant change that it should be up to all of us to trawl through release notes. They should create a KB stating how it was configured and how it should be now. Just my opinion.

Thanks

Regalis

PAUL HERBERT

• 6.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-18-2021 09:29
    Well for shorter upgrades then it is much easier to see before hand what commands will change in the release notes then.

For your specific implementation, if you are building from Juniper online documentation and it now shows deprecated, you can use the documentation feedback feature.  When you rate a page you have the opportunity to type specific comments and questions.  You can also include your email address.  These comments go right to the documentation owners. 

I have had good experiences getting questions answered and documentation updated to using this in the past on other issues.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 7.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 12-20-2021 11:33
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have submitted feedback to the page and will see if they come back with anything.

PAUL HERBERT

• 8.  RE: EVPN vrf-target export ## deprecated

Posted 05-09-2022 15:57
    Hello Regalis,
    Did you get any update on it? I am also experiencing this same doubt and looking for a solution.

BR/Cangjin

CANGJIN ZHAO