Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Inserting full bgp route to fib without using rib

Posted 02-14-2021 12:09
    Hello,

Is there a way to insert full bgp routing table to fib table without using the rib table ?

I wil try to explain the probelm:
     I have a customer with bgp peer to my router and he wants to receive  a full bgp routing table from the internet (it is about a milion routes).
     My upstream provider is adverting his full internet routing table to me
    The problem is that the router memory has difficulties handeling such amount of routes.
    From my point of view I have only one upstream provider, so all I need is default route in the rib table to forward all upstream traffic,
    and I'm also knowing the next-hop for the bgp peer to my customer.
    So I thought, is there a way to take all these routes that my upstream provider is advertising to me and forward it directly towards my customer
    without inserting them to the routers rib ?
    If there is, them the memory usage won't be so high.

Thanks

Eyal

• 2.  RE: Inserting full bgp route to fib without using rib

Posted 02-14-2021 12:24
    You can stop them from being placed in the FIB (Forwarding table) with an export policy applied under routing-options forwarding-table, but you need to have them in the RIB (routing table), to be able to send them to your peers. 

Regards, 

• 3.  RE: Inserting full bgp route to fib without using rib

Posted 02-15-2021 07:57
    Hi Eyal,

I would rather deploy the JunOS Route Server (eBGP multihop/next-hop unchanged) solution in order to do that: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/day-one-books/DO_JunosRouteServersUPDATE.pdf
    You can do it thru cRPD on commodity server.

Yours sincerely.