Routing

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Inter-AS NNI Option B not receiving routes from route reflector

Posted 11-17-2020 17:04
    I have an AS with two route reflectors within the same cluster ID that each peer with all other PEs. Two of these PEs (neither are route reflector) have a NNI opt B with another AS. Currently we only have two VPNs that cross the recently configured NNIs. One of them have VRFs on both the NNI PEs and this seems to work perfectly. The other VPN has no VRF on either NNI PE and this seems to work fine on one but not the other. It seems that both RRs are sending the routes to the working NNI PE but not the other.

I have checked that both NNI PEs are sending requests for the route target to the RRs using the below command which they both are. 

show route table bgp.rtarget.0 advertising-protocol bgp 10.11.12.1
    show route table bgp.rtarget.0 advertising-protocol bgp 10.11.12.2

I have also checked that both RRs are receiving the route target values from the NNI PEs using the below command which they both are. 

show route table bgp.rtarget.0 receive-protocol bgp 10.11.12.11
    show route table bgp.rtarget.0 receive-protocol bgp 10.11.12.12

After significant checking, I can see no differences in the two RRs or the two NNI PEs e.g. configuration, model, Junos, etc.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. Thanks for reading.

------------------------------
    Paul Herbert

• 2.  RE: Inter-AS NNI Option B not receiving routes from route reflector

Posted 11-25-2020 06:01
    When you have two route reflectors they should have separate cluster id and become a client of each other for the full spread of routes.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/bgp-route-reflectors.html

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Inter-AS NNI Option B not receiving routes from route reflector

Posted 11-27-2020 04:20
    If the routers are sending the corresponding matching prefixes for route-target constraint address-family signalling they want to receive these prefixes, then can you check `traceoptions` for the UPDATE messages and validate the reason why the UPDATEs might be getting withdrawn?

Post the results!

Regards,

Elvin