Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Troubleshooting OSPF (with BGP redistributed)

Posted 08-10-2021 15:09
    Hello all,

First time posting and recently new member to the Juniper communities. 

I have been in networking for the last 12 years.  My organization is a total Juniper shop. We use SRXs extensively for routers, firewalls, and IDPs.  Internally we use OSFP,  however, my branch locations are connected using redistributed BGP.   I'm having issues with both OSPF and BGP routes bouncing when I try to add a new circuit.

In Juniper's documentation, I am trying to find overall strategies or procedures to troubleshoot OSPF/ BGP redistribution.  Would anyone have any suggestions.

Roger Bascom
    Network Engineer

------------------------------
    ROGER BASCOM

• 2.  RE: Troubleshooting OSPF (with BGP redistributed)

Posted 08-10-2021 20:07
    I'm guessing you have some redundant paths between sites that are all setup with the default configurations.  Thus there is the possibility of both routes having the same cost and this might be causing the route flapping.

The general approach if this is the case is to designate a primary and backup path for each redundant connection.
    Then symmetrically adjust the particular routing protocol involved so that each path is clearly primary or secondary.  This will be likely link cost with ospf and local preference on bgp.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Troubleshooting OSPF (with BGP redistributed)

Posted 08-12-2021 14:01
    Thanks, Steve.   Appreciate the suggestion.

I just happen to have a maint window tonight to gather more information for my  JTAC engineer. 

Unfortunately, because it causes a disruption between my pri and alt data centers when I activate that new 10Gb EPL circuit, I have to schedule maint windows to troubleshoot this.  If I have the time tonight, I will give that a try. 

Roger Bascom
    Network Engineer

• 4.  RE: Troubleshooting OSPF (with BGP redistributed)

Posted 08-13-2021 20:59
    Steve, I just wanted to let you know that last night's troubleshooting session was a total bust.

Spent 4 hours trying to figure out why the circuit was not coming up at the physical layer.  Only to find out that there was an emergency outage, caused by a cut in the fiber cable, on my 2000 mile connection to my DR site.  We never got past step two in my t/s session (step one being to deploy the new configurations).

Will have to regroup and take another run at it.

ROGER BASCOM

• 5.  RE: Troubleshooting OSPF (with BGP redistributed)

Posted 08-13-2021 21:03
    I feel your pain.  I work for a service provider and we also had big storms last night.  I woke to over 200 nodes down on the network.  And we spend the day sorting out which are fiber from trees and which are power where you just have to wait for restoration.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home