Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Inline cgnat on MX5 with MPC

Posted 03-31-2021 12:12

I've been reading the 'Day One: Deploying CGNAT for the MX Series' PDF which is pretty good. I want to setup source NAT to a pool. E.g. private subnet (/19) behind the MX to a pool to a smaller public pool (E.g /28) In the PDF is talks about inline and services NAT (You need a MPC for inline and DPC for services / Advance NAT from what I see) My Juniper is an MX5 with MPC cards so I guess I can only be using inline NAT.

I saw this in the document:

"Users looking to set up inline NAT ask this type of question often: But what if I have a private subnet of /14 but only have a/28 for the public pool? What do I do?" The honest answer is you need to move to using a service card in your MX and then move to a different dynamic NAT translation-type."

Just to be able to do a source NAT to a pool you need a services card? (So I can't set this up with only MPC card) Is my understanding about this correct?

• 2.  RE: Inline cgnat on MX5 with MPC

Posted 04-01-2021 09:06
    Edited by Brian Johnson 04-01-2021 09:14
    Here is what I can tell you...

1. CGNAT requires a services card.
    2. In-line NAT is for 1-to-1 NAT translations ONLY.
    3. The MX5 has no MPC cards. It does have 4 MIC card slots,of which one is populated with a 20 port 1G card and only one more is available and it is only licensed for a MS-MIC (services) card.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------
    Brian Johnson
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Inline cgnat on MX5 with MPC

Posted 04-01-2021 13:14
    Thanks Brian

" In-line NAT is for 1-to-1 NAT translations ONLY" Ye I was starting to get that feeling from the docs. Thanks for confirming it.