Routing

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.

rfc2544-benchmarking MX/ACX

• 1.  rfc2544-benchmarking MX/ACX

Posted 12-18-2021 19:51
    Hello,

I started testing the rfc2544 benchmarking features and failed in multiple cases.
    Would appreciate any help (or sharing your examples) in regards to the below issue.
    I am not confident it was designed to be used in the following way - so any help will be appreciated.

All my tests are driven by the official document Configuring Benchmarking Test Parameters and VPLS Parameters 

The case is very simple:
    1. There is a vpls service  <RFC2544 Tester><ge-0/0/7><MX-Router with VPLS instance >

2. The instance and port configuration is very simple

set interfaces xe-0/0/7 description "[TESTER] 1G Tester"
    set interfaces xe-0/0/7 encapsulation ethernet-vpls
    set interfaces xe-0/0/7 unit 0 family vpls

set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls site LOC interface xe-0/0/7.0
    set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls site LOC site-identifier 2
    set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls site-range 2
    set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls no-tunnel-services
    set routing-instances epl1 description "[TESTER] 1G Tester "
    set routing-instances epl1 instance-type vpls
    set routing-instances epl1 interface xe-0/0/7.0
    set routing-instances epl1 route-distinguisher 999:1
    set routing-instances epl1 vrf-target target:999:1

2. The RFC 2544 is configured as follows

set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test source-mac-address 00:18:63:00:0b:3b
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test destination-mac-address 84:c8:07:1a:89:79
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test service-type eline
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test in-service
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test mode reflect
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test reflect-mode mac-swap
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test family vpls
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test direction ingress
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test test-interface xe-0/0/7.0
    set chassis fpc 0 slamon-services rfc2544

3. The RFC tester is running a well know setup (so same instance - tester -to- tester all is good).

What is my expectation:
    - as I am configuring reflector on MX - my assumption is it should return/reflect all traffic back to the tester (so sort of smart loop) - this is not happening 
    - according to the documentation - MX should be able to play a "generator/initiator" mode - but somehow it's not available under my setup (I tested MX960/MX104/ACX5448) 
    and I did not find any "exact" specification to the RE/SCB and/or service card?

My questions are: 

- is my logic correct - it should reflect any other RFC2544 originated traffic or its proprietary implementation and only Juniper-to-Juniper will work?
    - any help with clarifying the "hardware/software" related requirements to be able to use "generator".

Thank you in advance 
    Andrei