Routing

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Pinging VPLS for connectivity verification

Posted 09-16-2019 19:43

morning,

I am simply trying to ping CE L3 interfaces from PEs to verify that the vpls instance is up beyond the typical commands. I have found the following command:

ping vpls instance instance-name destination-mac address source-ip address

Initialization failure: bind to address 10.0.0.3 failed with error "Can't assign requested address"

However I am not able to source from the IP - so it sounds like i need an inet interface in the instance and I am so not see how to do that. I cannot add an inet family to the vpls interface, i can't add a separate inet interface to the routing instance either... so not sure how to progress... any help?

thanks

• 2.  RE: Pinging VPLS for connectivity verification

Posted 09-16-2019 20:38

if you want to ping CE L3 interface , then you need l3 interface in on your side, fir example configured via l3-interface ...

But if you want to check only mpls connectivity between your sites you can ping via

ping mpls l2vpn instance INSTANCE-NAME remote-site-id 2 local-site-id 1 ..

• 3.  RE: Pinging VPLS for connectivity verification
    Best Answer

Posted 09-17-2019 00:51

Hi,

VPLS being an L2 service, you would not be able to add an L3 interface directly.

However, you could configure an irb interface to be brought up once the vpls instance comes up.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/vpls-irb-solutions.html

This irb interface would by default sit in the inet.0 routing-table.

From this irb interface in inet.0 you could simply ping the CE L3 address:

ping <ce-ip-address> interface irb.x

The irb interface can also be moved under a Routing-instance if required:

set routing-instance <ri-name> interface irb.x

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ashvin

• 4.  RE: Pinging VPLS for connectivity verification

Posted 09-18-2019 07:57

Hi!

Normally VPLS is the L2 VPN technology, meaning there is no L3 interface and you could not communite to end CE host directly via L3. But you coudl configure irb under the VPLS routing instance 

Here is the link you could refer:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/vpls-irb-solutions.html

If you just want to verify if VPLS connection is up, you could issue below command to check:

show vpls connections

Best

Mu