Routing

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
Expand all | Collapse all

EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

• 1.  EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-17-2019 05:47

Hello everyone!

We`re having issues with EX4600 switch which we`re testing right now(so i dont have jtac support as this device is for testing right now).

The problem is when we got interface configured with 3 different encapsulations like this:

show interfaces xe-0/0/0
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    mtu 9000;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    unit 0 {
        family ethernet-switching {
            interface-mode trunk;
            vlan {
                members VLAN1;
            }
        }
    }
    unit 2 {
        vlan-id 2;
        family inet {
            address 172.18.1.3/31;
        }
        family mpls;
    }
    unit 11 {
        encapsulation vlan-ccc;
        vlan-id 11;
    }

unit 11 used for l2circuit

When l2circuit comes up unit 0 starts to drop all incoming traffic. Workaround for get back unit 0 working is to delete unit 0 commit config and then do rollback. This issue happens on all version of junos for EX4600 that i`ve tried: 19.1, 18.4,17.4.

Have anyone seen issue like this? 

• 2.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface
    Best Answer

Posted 12-17-2019 06:39

Hi smelnik,

There's an issue fixed on these lines, what's the Junos version on the EX? Please use the JTAC recommended release or one of the following and confirm if that resolves.

17.2R3
    18.1R1
    17.3R3
    17.4R2
    18.1R1
    17.2R3
    17.3R3
    17.4R2
    18.1X75-D10
    18.1X75-D10
    16.1R7
    15.1R7
    16.1R7
    14.1X53-D47
    15.1X53-D233
    15.1X53-D233
    17.1R3
    17.1R3

This should be documented as follows, I'll check and update this on a public link once you can confirm resolution:

The flexible-ethernet-services/vlan-bridge and vlan-ccc configuration will not work when both are configured together on all the QFX5k platforms and EX4600. Either one of them should be configured and not both.

set interfaces xe-0/0/18 encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services  (At physical link layer)

OR

set interfaces xe-0/0/18 encapsulation vlan-ccc

AND

set interfaces xe-0/0/18 unit x encapsulation vlan-bridge    (At logical link layer)

OR

set interfaces xe-0/0/18 unit x encapsulation vlan-ccc

It will not throw any commit check error or display a warning message.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    -r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
    Kudos are always appreciated :).

• 3.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-17-2019 08:41

Hello mriyaz,

i`ve tried 18.1R1-S1 and 18.1R3-S8 and issue still exists:

show interfaces xe-0/0/0
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    mtu 9000;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    unit 0 {
        family ethernet-switching {
            interface-mode trunk;
            vlan {
                members VLAN1;
            }
        }
    }
    unit 2 {
        vlan-id 2;
        family inet {
            address 172.18.1.3/31;
        }
        family mpls;
    }
    unit 11 {
        encapsulation vlan-ccc;
        vlan-id 11;
    }
    show ethernet-switching table

MAC flags (S - static MAC, D - dynamic MAC, L - locally learned, P - Persistent static, C - Control MAC
               SE - statistics enabled, NM - non configured MAC, R - remote PE MAC, O - ovsdb MAC)

Ethernet switching table : 1 entries, 1 learned
    Routing instance : default-switch
        Vlan                MAC                 MAC         Age    Logical                NH        RTR
        name                address             flags              interface              Index     ID
        VLAN1          1c:9c:8c:2e:75:4b   D             -   xe-0/0/4.0             0         0

• 4.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-22-2019 04:10

What are all the encapsulation options you get for the units is there a straigt vlan option?

I would try removing unit 0 and instead if available, configuring another unit number using the vlan id of whatever is VLAN1 instead of port mode trunk and vlan member.

• 5.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-23-2019 11:11

Hello spuluka,

smelnik@EX-172-18-1-253# set interfaces xe-0/0/0.0 encapsulation ?

smelnik@EX-172-18-1-253# set interfaces xe-0/0/0.0 encapsulation ?
    Possible completions:
      dix                  Ethernet DIXv2 (RFC 894)
      vlan-bridge          VLAN layer-2 bridging
      vlan-ccc             802.1q tagging for a cross-connect
      vlan-vpls            VLAN virtual private LAN service

i`ve already tried setting unit !=0 for ethernet-switching unit, but that didnt helped.

• 6.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 01-01-2020 17:19

Try removing unit 0 and add a new unit using vlan-bridge and the vlan id directly using this method for the trunk unit.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/layer-2-services-bridge-domains-as-switches-for-layer-2-trunk-ports-configuring.html

• 7.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 01-13-2020 01:41

Hello.

There is no encapsulation vlan-bridge and bridge-domains on EX switches.

• 8.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-24-2019 11:21

Hello smelnik

Can you try using a higher unit for family ethernet switching that goes below the rest of the units? i would like to check if the unit order has something to do with it.

for i.e: 

set interfaces xe-0/0/0.100 family ethernet-switching.... 

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you, 
    Franky

• 9.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-25-2019 00:32

Hi FrankyRko,

i`ve already tried using unit with ethernet switching as last unit on interface, but that didn`t changed situation - agter l2circuit is up ethernet-switching is broken.

• 10.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-26-2019 14:40

Hi smelnik

Thanks for confirming, 

I'm wondering if this has something to do with it, but it sounds very close to me.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/general/mpls-limitations-qfx-series.html

(QFX5100, QFX5110, QFX5120, QFX5200, QFX5210, EX4600) When VLAN bridge encapsulation is enabled on a CE connected interface, the switch drops packets if both flexible Ethernet services and VLAN CCC encapsulations are configured on the same logical interface. Only one can be configured, not both. For example:

set interfaces xe-0/0/18 encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services, or set interfaces xe-0/0/18 encapsulation vlan-ccc.

• 11.  RE: EX4600: problems with traffic drop on unit with eth-switching when multiple encapsulations are enabled on interface

Posted 12-30-2019 11:43

Looks like it wont work 😞

I was mislead by the fact that when you recreate unit with ethernet-switching everything is working until reboot.

Well, looks like it is potentially working, but not on current junos version.