Routing

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Any one know why this CVE-2008-5161 still appear even i'm using junos ver 17.x?

Posted 01-21-2020 07:37

Hi all,

Based on this url https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB20853&actp=METADATA   supposedly it should resolve the issue if i'm using junos version updated. But why during pentest testing, my other department still see this issue on MX480 that user junos ver 17.x?

Appreciate if someone can explain.

• 2.  RE: Any one know why this CVE-2008-5161 still appear even i'm using junos ver 17.x?

Posted 01-21-2020 12:38

As the KB states, it's just the order of ciphers which has been changed... if you connect with a client which only suggest a cbc cipher it will still be selected.

You can alter the allowed ssh ciphers by define a smaller subset under 'system services ssh' as seen below. There you can just limit to CTR ciphers.

user@device# set system services ssh ciphers ?
    Possible completions:
      3des-cbc             Triple DES in CBC mode
      [                    Open a set of values
      aes128-cbc           128-bit AES with Cipher Block Chaining
      aes128-ctr           128-bit AES with Counter Mode
      aes128-gcm@openssh.com  128-bit AES with Galois/Counter Mode
      aes192-cbc           192-bit AES with Cipher Block Chaining
      aes192-ctr           192-bit AES with Counter Mode
      aes256-cbc           256-bit AES with Cipher Block Chaining
      aes256-ctr           256-bit AES with Counter Mode
      aes256-gcm@openssh.com  256-bit AES with Galois/Counter Mode
      arcfour              128-bit RC4 with Cipher Block Chaining
      arcfour128           128-bit RC4 with Cipher Block Chaining
      arcfour256           256-bit RC4 with Cipher Block Chaining
      blowfish-cbc         128-bit Blowfish with Cipher Block Chaining
      cast128-cbc          128-bit CAST with Cipher Block Chaining
      chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com  ChaCha20 stream cipher and Poly1305 MAC

• 3.  RE: Any one know why this CVE-2008-5161 still appear even i'm using junos ver 17.x?

Posted 01-21-2020 15:44

Hi,

So it means need to custom the ssh serices config right? When i read that KB i though this it will solve if using the latest junos version.

Please correct me if i wrong.

• 4.  RE: Any one know why this CVE-2008-5161 still appear even i'm using junos ver 17.x?
    Best Answer

Posted 01-21-2020 23:50

The KB describes that the order of suggested ciphers has been changed.

ssh (and ssl/tls for that matter) negotiates the ciphers used by a prioritized list provided by both client and server. The first match they will use.

In this case the KB describes that CBC based ciphers has been put lower in the list so CTR will be preferred - but if the client only suggests CBC ciphers, you can force the Junos device to use CBC. This is basically what your pentesters are doing, trying to actively downgrade the security.

It's the same with https:// websites where you can have all your new TLS 1.2, 1.3 etc... but if you forget to disable eg. SSLv3, the client can force-downgrade the connection to SSLv3 if they want to.

The right solution is to decide which ciphers to allow, test that all your clients supports this scheme and then deploy on all devices in your network.

I hope that clarifies.