Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  RE: Deploying Multicast in an Enterprise environment

Posted 06-04-2020 09:11

Hello Guys,

Which version of PIM is better to be deployed in an enterprise environment among the following
    options:

1.PIM-SM using the ASM model (using BSR to elect the RP)
    2.PIM-SM using the SSM model

With PIM-SSM there is a requirement for the end user devices to support IGMPv3, so I am leaning towards the PIM-SM with BSR RP election approach. But please let me know if there are better use cases to implement PIM-SM with SSM model.

Thanks,

B

• 2.  RE: RE: Deploying Multicast in an Enterprise environment
    Best Answer

Posted 06-04-2020 09:43

Hi B,

It ultimately depends on the receivers capability. If you plan to move your receivers to be IGMPv3 capable in the future, you can use https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/multicast-ssm-mapping.html (depending on your hardware and OS version as well).

If you do not plan to move to v3 in the future, you can start working with PIM ASM and plan for a later transition to SSM with IGMPv3 starting with SSM Mapping. 

• 3.  RE: RE: Deploying Multicast in an Enterprise environment

Posted 06-04-2020 10:03

Thanks Jospina.

Adding to the question, is it normal for enterprise environments to run MSDP or any other form of interdomain Multicast routing protocols with their service providers? 

For use cases in which the source of Multicast traffic is outside of the enterprise environment, I was thinking if running some form or Multicast routing protocol is necessary.

When thinking of transmission of live videos such as live basketball games, football games, live speech addressed by a state figure etc. I was curious how to best handle these types of traffic in an enterprise environments.

Also, if you could add to some of the benefits of introducing Multicast to an Enterprise environment that would be great.

Regards,

B

• 4.  RE: RE: Deploying Multicast in an Enterprise environment

Posted 06-04-2020 22:25

Hi

If you dont have end receivers supporting igmp v3 you can still use the PIM-SSM by the use of SSM mapping feature. You can get more details in the below link

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/multicast-ssm-mapping.html

As far as multicast benefits are concerned for video feed most of the enterprise customers prefer multicast for obvious reason of efficient bandwidth utlization of the network and ofcourse the quality of service for the video which separates it from the normal IP traffic.

Hope this helps