Routing

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Maximum number of BGP sessions

Posted 07-02-2020 06:49

I am looking for the maximum number of BGP sessions which can be handled by one MX960.

In none of the day one books or in any other forum I can find an answer.

E.g.:

When I have a network with 150 routers (all MX960). Is it possible to put them all together in one internal BGP group?

I know that the number of BGP session will be 11175. But for a new RE this should be no big issue because it also can handle several 10000 subscriber sessions.

Has anybody some experiences here?

• 2.  RE: Maximum number of BGP sessions

Posted 07-02-2020 07:48

Hello,

@gerhard.weber wrote:

I am looking for the maximum number of BGP sessions which can be handled by one MX960.

In none of the day one books or in any other forum I can find an answer.

These sorts of questions are called "scaling" and they are not answered in Day1 books. Some answers can be found in datasheets, but not all.  If that's the case, please contact Your nearest friendly Juniper Sales/Systems Engineer (SE) and s/he will be happy to answer.

Some more background - the control plane scaling greatly depends on the Routing Engine (RE) model installed in the chassis, so sharing just the product model is not enough.

@gerhard.weber wrote:

When I have a network with 150 routers (all MX960). Is it possible to put them all together in one internal BGP group?

I know that the number of BGP session will be 11175. But for a new RE this should be no big issue because it also can handle several 10000 subscriber sessions.

Your math is incorrect. Each individual BGP speaker router will have only 150-1=149 sessions, not 11175.

And scaling for subscibers and scaling for BGP sessions is two different things.

Your nearest Juniper SE is the person-to-go in these cases.

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 3.  RE: Maximum number of BGP sessions

Posted 07-02-2020 14:03

The scaling numbers of any protocol/service depends on multiple factors like what other protocols/services you are running on that chassis and also the hardware/RE model. You will have to ask for multi-dimensional scaling number from your SE(obviously inline to the protocols you are using on your chassis), generally the numbers that they give will be uni-dimensional. The best way is to test them in your own lab.

Moreover, if you are planning to deploy a IBGP full mesh between 150 routers then each router will have 149 sessions. I'll suggest the best solution is to install couple of RRs; I said "couple" to include redundancy.

• 4.  RE: Maximum number of BGP sessions
    Best Answer

Posted 07-03-2020 00:02

Hi gerhard.weber,

Good day!!

The maximum number of BGP peers MX960 chassis can handle is 4000.

Extra Info:-

The maximum number of VPLS instances supported on MX Series routers is 8,000.
    This number is derived as follows:

The logical interface limit on an MX Series router is 64,000. In BGP VPLS, the default label block size is eight, which provides eight pseudowires per VPLS. Divide the number of logical interfaces by the number of pseudowires to get the maximum number of VPLS instances supported: 64,000/8 = 8,000.

In Junos OS 10.0 Release and later, use the label-block-size size statement to configure VPLS label block size as 2, 4, 8, or 16. If the block size is increased, the number of VPLS instances can be increased. With LDP VPLS, there is no concept of label block, so the number of logical interfaces used is based on the number of sites attached to the VPLS.

Theoretically, if there are fewer than eight sites per LDP VPLS, that network could scale to 8,000 logical interfaces and greater. However, thequalified tested maximum number is 8,000.

Currently, the flooding in VPLS is limited to 4,000 sites per VPLS meshgroup. MX Series routers support 14 user-defined mesh groups. Therefore, the maximum number of sites possible is 56,000 (4000 x 14 = 56,000).

What is the maximum number of VRRP interfaces per physical device?

There are 1000 interfaces that can be configured.

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciate

Thanks 

Suraj