Routing

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  How to protect L3 VRF via another PE

Posted 02-02-2019 01:44
      |   view attached

HI All,

With the attched network diagram, We have 3 PE routers and one customer we are providing branch-HQ connectivity. the branch traffic is agregated in  EX4200 switch and every branch has unique vlan. the EX switch sits in an ERP ring that conects to one PE on one end and to another PE router on other end. 

at the moment, we have the VRF instances defined on two PEs (PE3 and PE2). all is fine untill the link between PE2 and the EX4200 fails. when this happens all branches loose connecity as the traffic is recieved by this PE only as of now.  since the EX4200 sits in a ring and has L2 connecitivty to PE1, can i define 3rd VRF instance at PE1 to act as protection path when the primary link (direct link between EX4200 and PE2) fails. 

Changing the whole setup to VPLS will solve might our problem but we wanted to see if there is away we can have a solution with the current setup. 

Please check the attached diagram for better understanding of the problem. 

Thank you

Attachment(s)

pdf
    network-setup.pdf   21 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: How to protect L3 VRF via another PE
    Best Answer

Posted 02-02-2019 04:14

Hello,

@lish wrote:

HI All,

can i define 3rd VRF instance at PE1 to act as protection path when the primary link (direct link between EX4200 and PE2) fails. 

Yes You can. In fact this is pretty much standard PE-CE connectivity design if You add VRRP on top.

VRRP has to run between PE1 and PE2 through that L2 metro ERP ring.

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 3.  RE: How to protect L3 VRF via another PE

Posted 02-04-2019 21:39

Thank You so much Alex. the VRRP is what i was missing. its doing what i wanted.

Thank you!!