Routing

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  NAT on MX240

Posted 04-01-2020 09:15

Hi.

I have an MX240 with SCBE2-MX and RE-S-1800X4-16G routing engine and MPC5E-40G10G line card and I need to implement this NAT scenarios:

- Internal office network which has to be source natted with PAT to a small puplic IP pool. 20 internal ips to 3 public ips.

- Some port redirects, direct a port from external IP to a local port on internal PC (open a port).

From what I read, I need an MS-MPC or MS-DPC because MPC5E-40G10G only does static NAT. I guess, that MS boards are for doing serious things like CGNAT and having a large amount of subscribers. Is it possible to have this sipmle scenarios implemented without buying extra licenses or hardware? If I buy a MS-DPC, will I need additional licensing?

There is total mess in my head, I can't understand what I can and what I can't do with MX240. Can somebody help? I've spent a day looking for manuals and the way of making NAT work, but it is not working for me.

Regards

• 2.  RE: NAT on MX240
    Best Answer

Posted 04-07-2020 06:49

MPC cards only support inline static NAT, only 1:1 source, destination or twice NAT is supported. For doing inline NAT, serivce-inline (si) interface must be used. There are two ways of configuring NAT: using interface or next-hop service-sets. The si- interface serves as a “virtual service PIC”.

There is a very good explanation of NAT in the book Juniper MX Series by Douglas Richard Hanks Jr., Harry Reynolds.

This article helped me as well.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/nat-inline-nat-overview.html

Regards