Routing

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Understanding trunk connections

Posted 12-14-2017 07:45

I have an SRX300 that is connected to a managed switch (Hirschmann RS-20). There are 2 VLANs plus management (1, 2, 3) set up in the RS-20. The IP address of the RS20 is in the VLAN2 subnet. When I have the physical interface ge-0/0/1 set up as access in the SRX, I can ping and access the UI for the RS20. If I change access to trunk, I lose ability to ping and load the UI. Because I have 2 VLANs in use in the RS20, I need 2 VLANs set up in the SRX, and thus it is my understanding I need trunk not access (you can't assign more than 1 VLAN in access). I'm clueless why changing this one setting access to trunk breaks ICMP. This is what I think should work:

ge-0/0/1 {
            description TRUNK;
            unit 0 {
                family ethernet-switching {
                    interface-mode trunk;
                    vlan {
                        members [ FIELD SUB ] ;
                    }
                }
            }
        }

I also have the IRB interfaces set, and the vlans as l3-interface irb.

• 2.  RE: Understanding trunk connections
    Best Answer

Posted 12-14-2017 08:10

Looks like VLAN2 is configured on RS20 as a native vlan. You have do the same on SRX.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/bridging-native-vlan-id-ex-series-cli-els.html

Regards, Wojtek

• 3.  RE: Understanding trunk connections

Posted 12-14-2017 09:33

Adding 

set interfaces ge-0/0/1 native-vlan-id 2

did the trick. Thanks!