Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  [MX] How to bind a VPLS to MPLS virtual-router

Posted 11-02-2020 22:25

Hello there,

I'm having Juniper MX204 and the goal is to separate existing running IP routing and MPLS domain. So, I created new virtual-router then configured MPLS under routing-instance. Since MPLS is up on a non-default instance, I am seeking idea/advice about how can we bind a VPLS instance with this virtual-router?

Regards,

• 2.  Re: [MX] How to bind a VPLS to MPLS virtual-router

Posted 11-02-2020 23:10

Hello,

I suggest You don't go along this path (separate routing-instances just for MPLS).

The reasons are:

1/ All MPLS protocols also rely on IGP (except static MPLS LSP) so You are looking at another IGP inside Your "MPLS routing instances"

2/ routing-instances do not provide 100% separation since they share the common Routing Protocol Daemon process

3/ only LDP is supported inside JUNOS routing instances so no traffic engineering of any sort.

4/ if You plan to run IP internet access/peering service in Your network, then all routers must have full IP routing tables for optimal routing, so no BGP-free core is possible.

The current best practice is to run MPLS transport for all services including IP internet access, making use of BGP-free core which then could be built on low-latency boxes.

HTH

Thx

Alex  

• 3.  Re: [MX] How to bind a VPLS to MPLS virtual-router

Posted 11-02-2020 23:50

Dear Alex,

Thanks for your explanation. If this is not a recommended solution, do you have any idea or comment if I go with Logical System?

Regards,

• 4.  Re: [MX] How to bind a VPLS to MPLS virtual-router

Posted 11-03-2020 00:11

Hello,

As I said earlier, the best current practice is to run services over MPLS PE-to-PE + BGP-free core.

But if You are really brave then You could try services (incl IPv4) over MPLS transport with IPv6-only control plane.

If You want to go with JUNOS Logical Systems then it is slightly better than routing instances but:

1/ You could run into some JUNOS features not supported inside LS

2/ if later You'd need to interconnect IP Logical System with MPLS Logical System for whatever reason, then You need to account for JUNOS BGP AS_PATH loop detection I described here    https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Routing/different-autonomous-system-number-for-each-routing-instance/m-p/482445#M22439 

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 5.  Re: [MX] How to bind a VPLS to MPLS virtual-router

Posted 11-03-2020 00:15

Dear Alex,

Thanks and appreciated for your input.

Regards,